New Addition

⚠️Deals with birth complications⚠️

Leah POV

Alex and I planned to renew our vows after the birth of our baby, wanting all our children to be present. This didn't stop us looking at venues, picking songs, and of course planning the outfits that the kids would wear. In the weeks before Alex's due date she was completely exhausted, her body tired quickly and most nights we were tucked up in bed at the same time as the kids. To be truthful, I kind of liked it. Not her being tired, but knowing that when we woke up in the mornings, I only had 14 hours until we would be tangled up together again. Neither of us knew when we got into bed on a normal Wednesday night, the night that lay ahead of us. Or how much heartbreak we were both about to feel.

I woke to the feeling of Alex gently shaking me, her phone to her ear and her face wincing.

"Alex, what's wrong?"
"Baby's on the way, Le." She mouthed as I heard my Mum's voice on the other end of the phone.

I jumped out of bed, fumbling for the light switch and tripping over the hospital bag as I tried to open the wardrobe the put clothes on, making Alex let out a hearty laugh. I threw on tracksuit bottoms and a sweatshirt before placing a sweatshirt over Alex's head and kissing her lips. She wrapped her arm around my neck, using her feet to pull herself to the edge of the bed and my shoulder to pull herself to her feet. As much as I was excited for what was to come, I hated knowing she had to go through this level of pain. We took small steps across the landing, then one step at a time downstairs; trying to ensure we didn't wake the kids. By the time we made it downstairs, Mum had used her key to let herself in, smiling at the two of us.

"You two go, I'll explain to them when they wake up." Mum kissed both of us on the cheek.
"Theo's on an antibiotic for a chest infection, he'll need his medicine when he wakes up and then every four hours." Alex told her.
"They'll be fine, you just concentrate on bringing that little one into the world."

I placed Alex into the passenger seat of the car as she threw her head back onto the headrest and let out a small grunt of pain.

"I'm just going to get the bag, Al. I'll be two minutes, okay?" I whispered as my lips touched hers once more.
"Le?" She grabbed my hand.
"Yes?"
"You're very hot when you're flustered." A cheeky smile appearing on her face as I rolled my eyes and chuckled.
"Not the time, you nightmare. Wait there, I'll be two minutes."

— — — —

Alex was attending a private hospital just outside of our town, meaning we arrived there after a 15 minute drive. Her contractions were a little more regular now, but still nowhere near the pushing stage. I told her to wait in the car and I would go get someone, much to her annoyance as she protested she was fine to walk. The nurses were lovely as I blurted out that my wife was having a baby in our car, having to correct myself and tell them we were nowhere near the point of birth yet. Little did I know, this would be a lot longer than I thought. They smiled sweetly at me, following me to the car park and helping Alex into a wheelchair, wheeling her back across the car park as she cracked jokes to them about her hopes that after three children this one might actually want to be a singer.

They brought us to a private room, kitted out with anything we might need including a TV and a fridge. A midwife came shortly afterwards, asking Alex to change into a hospital gown and examining her.

"Hours to go yet, pet." The midwife smiled.
"Might get a nap if this one doesn't talk my ear off." Alex laughed back.

I called Mum to check on the kids, who were both still sleeping sound, before taking a seat in the chair beside Alex's bed. She reached her hand out for mine, waiting for me to take it and then pulling me into the bed beside her once I had. As the pain started to come more often, I spoke about everything and anything to distract her, her eyes gazing up at me lovingly as she listened to me gabble on, her hands playing with my fingers. Shortly after 2pm, the midwife began preparations for the birth, propping the bed up and moving the table the sat above Alex's lower legs.