Chapter Three

He learns that she needs no one, but the people she chooses

He learns that she needs no one, but the people she chooses. And he was not one of them, not this time around.

***********************************************************************************************

Remus watched the girl who had surprised him, talking to a dementor and acting like it spoke to her. Though it seemed she truly did understand it, like it understood her. He had gone to check on the other students and they told him it came in then left fairly quickly. When he returned, the young witch was whispering to her friends, certain looks on their faces. When he had stepped back into the compartment, he had offered chocolate to the three.

"No thank you." Morgan said. "The dementor's don't affect us in that way."

"And how is that?" He asked.

"It just doesn't." Fred responded in his sister's place. He didn't want her to feel like she had to answer things she doesn't want to. After all the twins knew what Morgan had been through, especially her first life.

The compartment door slams open, as a huffing Draco Malfoy appears before them. "Morgan? Are you alright?" Draco asked coming to stand in front of her.

"Yes Draco, I'm alright." She answered smiling at her cousin. 

"Fred, George, you alright as well?" Draco asked the twins. The two nodded their heads letting the young Malfoy heir know they were alright. After that Draco refused to leave Morgan's side, and when the train came to a halt, the Slytherin third years, along with Fred and George made their way to the carriages.

The procession of horseless carriages, carrying students toward the glimmering castle, were for once quiet. No one said a thing, all reeling from seeing the dementors. None knew what to say, though Morgan, Fred, George, and the third year Slytherin's were a little different, none were quite so silent, as they discussed their classes for this coming year. When they stepped into the Great Hall, the twins having been sorted in a different room, were now adorned in the emerald green of Slytherin.

Professor Slytherin was highly confused as to how they were allowed to change their houses, when he looked over at Morgan, the young witch smirking as the twins sat in front of her. She was the reasoning behind it. He had to wonder just how much sway the young witch truly had.

The first years were quickly sorted into their houses, the Slytherin's quickly welcoming the first years with charming smiles, and sweet welcomes. It made the Lord and Head of house proud to see their house being so welcoming. The choir sings as the students enjoy the song, Morgan smiled at the wondrous work the students had done.

At the high table, Remus sits with Snape, Slytherin, McGonagall, Hagrid and Dumbledore. Morgan sees Filch, the Hogwarts' caretaker, standing grimly to the side as red-eyed Mrs. Norris switches her tail at his feet. As the choir's song concludes, Dumbledore rises, beaming over the sea of black hats. Why they had to wear their hats this year, Morgan had no idea.

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say, before we become befuddled by our excellent feast. I myself am particularly looking forward to the flaming kiwi cups, which, while somewhat treacherous for those with facial hair..." Dumbledore starts before McGonagall clears her throat.

Morgan rolled her eyes at the old coot, already annoyed.

"Mm. Yes. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of first through fourth Defence Against the Dark Arts. Good luck to you, Professor." Dumbledore says, as Remus smiles and nods to the students.

The hall is filled with applause. Morgan claps thrice before fiddling with her knife, she was bored. They all were, they just wanted to eat. "I wish they had proper food on the train." Morgan muttered annoyed.

"As some of you may know, Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years, has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be filled by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid!"

There is an applause once more, Hagrid's face turns ruby red, rises, and nearly topples the staff table sending water goblets weaving.

Dumbledore's attitude soon changes, turning grave. "Finally, one more disquieting note, Hogwarts... at the request of the Ministry of Magic... will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban."

A murmur of apprehension befalls the hall. Draco looks over at his cousin. "We need to watch over the younger years, they won't be prepared for it." He whispers to her.

"Spread the word." She says as she looks to the first and second years, all of them looking scared and frightened but fight to hide the emotion.

"The Dementors will be stationed at the entrances to the grounds. While they are under strict orders not to enter the castle itself, you will on occasion see them as you go about your daily activities. Under no circumstance are you to approach them. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving."

With those words, the feast begun. The Slytherin's acted normal, eating their dinner, well that was until they had to alert Morgan to a certain snake.

'Morgie Pie! I have missed you!' Nagini hissed quite loudly. The giant python wrapped herself around Morgan as she rubbed her head on her cheek. 

"I have missed you too Nagini." Morgan says smiling brightly at the python. Feeding her some of the chicken. Nagini happily eating it. Draco too feeding the giant creature. The two continued to chat, Morgan telling Nagini all about her time with her family and their trip to Greece. Morgan was a big fan of the Grecian culture.

Nagini too explained her wonderful time at the school exploring the area more. Morgan listened with rapt attention, as their feast came to an end, Morgan learned of the password and walked away, with the twins and Draco following behind her. Stepping into their common room, Morgan placed Nagini onto the cushion they had asked the older students to buy for them, so that Nagini had her own place in the common room.

Hissing contently, Nagini curled herself up, sleeping peacefully. Morgan smiled as she sat in her leather chair, now reading as they waited for the first years to arrive. When the rules were told once more. They were ordered to head to their rooms.

Morgan wished her family a goodnight, as she slipped away, going to her room. Wondering what might be different this time around.