Roommate

I opened my umbrella, hands clenched tightly around it, as I made my way down the sidewalk. Maybe it was because of the rain, but the air had a pleasant scent to it. It was different from that wet tree trunk and moss smell I'm familiar with. I liked it. I could see brick buildings, traffic lights, and many people. I was seeing a city for the first time, which wasn't through a picture book. Before I could do any exploring, I needed to find a place to eat at. The last thing I would want is to faint from hunger or maybe even excitement. I felt like a ball of nerves that would explode any minute, at the same time I felt a certain rush that I had never experienced before. I couldn't stop shaking. My grip on the umbrella tightened. The next turn I made down the sidewalk had nothing but restaurants, cafes, and diners, from both sides of the streets. Maybe it was hunger, but before I knew it, I was already in the middle of the road, crossing.

'BEEEEEPPPPPP!!.'   "Watch where you're going dumbass !", a man yelled from his car. Driving away in a rush, before I could apologize, his middle finger peeking out of his window. That was my first time crossing the street.

The atmosphere in the diner was bright and relaxing, compared to the glum weather outside. It was inviting and warm. There was the happy chatter of families at some tables, while others sat with their friends. Some sat alone, like me. I was sitting at a table next to the window, I had just ordered a grilled cheese and vanilla milkshake from the middle-aged waitress who kept calling me 'sugar'. While she took down my order, which I took too long to decide. It couldn't be helped though, that was my first time ordering something to eat, and also the fact that I felt slightly overwhelmed every time I had to interact with someone. While I waited, my eyes were focused on the boy seated in front of me, opposite my table. I could only see the back of his head, but his short black hair looked soft and fluffy. I was snapped back to reality when I heard his voice, he was talking on the phone.

"What do you mean you can't be my roommate?....HUH, you already live with someone else. You promised to move in with me today though. What am I supposed to do?... FIND SOMEBODY ELSE ??. That's easier said than done, asshole. You said you'd move in with me, so I would be able to pay for the rent this month. I can't continue to pay for the whole apartment myself. Hello, Helloo." He slammed his phone onto the table. Rubbing the back of his neck roughly. Everybody in the diner was now looking at him. I felt bad for him. Wait. Did he just say, roommate?. For the past 24 hours, I didn't think about things like what I would do when I arrived in the city. Things like where I would live and how I would survive. Even if I did check into a hotel tonight it's not like I could live like that forever. The money on my aunt's card would not last forever either. I would eventually live on the streets. I would never be able to survive like that, especially at night. I shiver ran up my spine just thinking about it. I focused my attention back on the boy in front of me. Trying to get those horrible thoughts out of the way. Seeing that the boy was about to get up from his seat, I quickly leaned over the table and tapped his arm. When he turned around, I was shocked for a moment, he was really attractive. What caught my attention first, was his eyes, almost like the ones of a fennec fox. Pretty, very pretty. The rest of his features combined with his face perfectly.

"Do I know you?." Oh no, I was staring for too long. I nodded my head slightly.

"No, Sorry, I was listening to your conversation just now, something about a roommate?" I admitted, shifting uncomfortably in my seat. While he stared at me expectantly.

"Yes, yes, do you want to be my roommate ?" he asked. Smiling this time, showing his perfect teeth.

I nodded again. "Ca-can I ?." That was easy, I wasn't expecting him to react like that, but I guess he's desperate.

"Of course, what's your name?" He asked while taking a seat at my table in the chair across from me.

"Felix, Lee Felix."

"Nice to meet you, Felix, I'm Jeongin."

We had spent the past minutes talking about the apartment. Well, mostly Jeongin. By now the waitress had brought me my grilled cheese and vanilla milkshake. While I ate, Jeongin did most of the talking, and I just nodded. He told me how he planned to be roommates with an old friend from high school but the guy had gone and lived with his new girlfriend. He gave me details about the apartment, like how I would get my own room, the price of rent that has to be paid at the end of each month, and how we'd be splitting it in half. By now the sun was setting. I couldn't believe we had been talking for so long. He was surprisingly easy to talk with. He didn't interrupt me while we talked and he waited for me to form my sentences. I think he noticed how nervous I was. He was just one year younger than me but he had this mature air around him and a really nice smile.

"Well at least my new roommate is cute" he blurted out while placing one hand underneath his chin and staring at me.

I felt my cheeks heat up.

"Well I hope we can be good roommates, Felix, and hopefully good friends, let's go home now." Home. Friends. I liked the sound of that.

/)/) (\(\
( . .) (. . )
( づ🍫⊂ )