Baby Chick

"Okay now-" Jeongin sighed, crossing his arms to his chest, his eyes fixed on me. " Tell me what happened, why didn't you come home yesterday." I shifted on the couch, crossing my legs while I sat. Jeongin sounded like a worried parent questioning their troubled child. You would think he's the older one with the way he always takes care of me. It hadn't been long since I ran away but everything I've learned in the outside world so far, he's been the one to teach me. Crossing the street, taking the bus, and other things you'd expect someone of my age to know. I feel like a baby chick just following him around sometimes. I laughed to myself. "Felix ?.... Are you okay?" Jeongin asked, unfolding his arms from his chest, sounding more concerned than before. "I knew it, that guy did something to you, didn't he?" He leaned closer, inspecting me further. Like he was looking for injuries or something.
"No no Hyunjin didn't do anything to me, it was the opposite actually...he saved me" I blurted out, frantically waving my hands in front of me. "Saved you ?" Jeongin replied surprised. Raising his eyebrow like I had just said the stupidest thing he's ever heard. I nodded my head quickly, wanting nothing but to clear up the horrible impression he has of Hyunjin. "Yes he did, I was locked in a dark room and he freed me, you know how I feel about dark spaces Innie" I released the breath I was holding, thinking back on that terrifying moment of being locked in there. Every minute that passed felt like an hour of hell and excruciating pain. My throat burned with how fast I was breathing and my chest kept tightening with fear. Only making it harder for me to breathe. The air in my lungs felt hot and it was almost like I was being suffocated and drowned by the darkness. "I had a really bad breakdown afterwards, and he helped calm me down. '' I continued, feeling a bit lightheaded at the thought. Being in Hyunjin's arms made me feel safe. The safest I've ever felt in my entire life. I hated that I had to experience something like that again, but I'm glad it was Hyunjin who helped me. Jeongin sighed, pulling me into a hug. "I'm just glad you're okay, somebody at the country club told me they saw Hyunjin leaving with you in his arms, I really thought that asshole did something to you." He grumbled, pulling away and looking at me. Still inspecting my body for some kind of injury. "You know, you could have at least called." He tilted his head with a frown. "I know, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, it won't happen again I promise." I gave him a small smile, trying my best to convince him that I'm really okay. Jeongin's face softened. "I'm not mad at you Lix, I was just worried" his brows drew together, showing his thoughts clearly while he spoke. I could tell how worried he really was. It made me happy and I felt bad for thinking so.

I leaned forward, patting his head "thank you".

"Huh" Jeongin replied, confusion clear on his face.

"For worrying about me" I smiled.

"What are you talking about? That's normal though, you didn't come home last night." His face looked so serious and my smile deepened. I leaned closer, clasping his hand in mine. "Come on, don't be so serious, it's Sunday, how about we play some games? You still haven't beaten my high score yet" I grinned. I watched as the corner of his mouth quirked up. "Okay, but I won't go easy on you" he answered, his mood changing immediately. Multiplayer games have been our go-to for fun these days. I know he couldn't refuse.

I was preparing some snacks in the kitchen while Jeongin connected the gaming console to the television. "So anything happened between you and Hyunjin last night ?" He shouted from the living room and I coughed, choking on my spit. Not expecting the sudden question. "Wha-what do you mean ?, I thought you didn't like him," I asked, walking out of the kitchen with a tray of snacks in my hand. "I don't, but that doesn't mean I don't wanna know what goes on between the two of you, I mean look at you, you're wearing his clothes" he shrugged. I sat down on the rug, placing the tray in front of us."I was so out of it last night, what could have happened?" I lied. Hoping Jeongin would believe me, but of course, he didn't. He lifted a brow and then said "If nothing happened, why is your face so red ?." I chewed on my bottom lip, avoiding his gaze. He saw right through me. I fell back to the floor, swinging my feet in the air. " I don't know Jeongin, I don't understand him, I don't understand anything" I wined out, kicking my feet upwards. "Oh so something did happen" he leaned forward to the snack bowl, throwing a potato chip into his mouth. Crumbs covered his lips and I almost laughed at how much of a messy eater he is. I sat up sighing, "yes and no, I guess you could say he basically rejected my advances, now that I think about it.

"Tough" Jeongin responded, handing a controller to me.

"Ughh I'm so embarrassed Innie" I fake sobbed, bringing my hands to my face.

"Don't be, he doesn't deserve you anyways." He kept his eyes focused on the television screen and I just stared at him blinking. We sat there watching the game load and I spoke again "why don't you like Hyunjin ?."

"I just don't, I just have a bad feeling about him" he answered audibly irritated by the question. I stared at him and hummed not really knowing what to say, at least he was honest. I guess we all have that one person we just can't stand. Even if our reason might sound dumb to others. I respect his feelings towards Hyunjin though, I won't force him to like him. The game finally loaded and we began playing.

"Hey Lix"

I hummed, too focused on the game to give him my full attention. "How did you get locked in that dark room by the way ?" Jeongin asked. He sounded curious but his tone was cautious. I drew in a long breath. I would want nothing more than to forget about what happened in that storage room. "Some girl named Aubree locked me in there and I have no idea why." I breathed out, thinking back on the way Hyunjin reacted when I told him it was her. "WHAT ?", Jeongin yelled out surprised, pausing the game at the same time. I flinched, dropping my controller to the floor. That startled me. "Do you know her ?" I muttered. I could feel my heartbeat ringing in my ears. "Not personally, but from what I've heard from the staff at the country club, she's insensitive, impolite, and has the biggest obsession with Hyunjin. I don't know what happened between them, but from what I've heard she doesn't want anybody getting close to him."

"That explains the dirty look she gave me." I rolled my eyes, remembering the look on her face. At first, I didn't think too much of it but now it's all making sense.

Jeongin's shoulders tensed up and he spoke again sounding very serious this time. "Promise me that you'll stay away from her, I won't even tell you to stay away from Hyunjin because I know you won't." He sighed. "Now that you're somewhat involved with him, you have to worry about crazy people like Aubree, so.be.careful." He pointed his finger at me and I just nodded, taking his advice. Although he didn't have to tell me to stay away from Aubree because she's clearly trouble. Anybody who locks another person up in a storage room is. Maybe Aubree believes I'm some kind of competition or something. Which sounds dumb to me, because she's prettier and richer than me. Anybody would be stupid to not pick her. Then again, Hyunjin didn't seem to like her and the annoyed look on his face showed that. He's never looked at me like that, it's the opposite actually and the way he looks at me sometimes makes my heart flutter. I don't want to expect too much from the encounters we've had so far, but it's hard to not fall for him.