Chapter 95 - The Hokage's Visit

Hokage Office.

The moonlight was shining through the glass window of the Hokage's office. Hiruzen was looking over the top secret report sent by his Anbu agent Bear. His eyes narrowed as he read information regarding a certain root spy.

'Touma Asai. 8 years old. Orphan. Recruited by Danzo into the root program two years ago due to his high aptitude for taijutsu and weaponry. Has above average memory retention and intelligence. Currently in the 4th year of the academy with the mission to spy on Sasuke Uchiha, Daichi Hekima and Naruto Uzumaki.'

Hiruzen smoked his pipe as he carefully read the details of the report. 'Bear is doing excellent work.... Danzo knows that Sasuke is untouchable as long as Itachi is alive and that I have my eyes on Naruto. He won't risk going after either of them as long as they are within the village. But Daichi on the other hand... Even the threat Kensei poses won't hold him back for long... It's been almost 2 months since I assigned those three with their tasks. It's time I had my chat with Kensei. Time to see if he's as motivated as before. In the event he won't help me... I'll have to persuade him or find someone else. Jiraiya has his own tasks and I can't ask him to take on more work...'

Hiruzen sat in his chair and then looked at the Hokage hat on the table. 'I need to think about a successor... There is no one capable in the village that can become the 5th at the moment. And Jiraiya has no intention of wearing the hat... If I can hold on for another 5 or 6 years then maybe Kakashi might be ready by then...'

Hiruzen let out a smoke filled breath and stood up and paced around the room. 'There is one who is capable. But that's impossible. She might never set foot here let alone lead the village...'

He returned to the table and secured all the documents and left the Hokage tower shortly after. He was headed home. Due to the Hokage residency being near the tower it didn't take him more than a couple minutes to reach the place. He opened the doors to his home and was met with silence and darkness. A reminder that he had lost his wife and of a strained relationship with his son.

After having some food Hiruzen went to his bed. 'I'll speak to Kensei tomorrow. I might also be able to see how far Daichi has come along in his nature training.'

—----------------------------------------------------------

Root Base - Underground.

Danzo was reading the report written by Touma Asai. It contained information not only on Naruto, Sasuke and Daichi but also on the clan heirs.

'What is Hiruzen thinking? Why hasn't he let Daichi get ahead? Did he not think the child was capable or did the boy reject the offer? His character says otherwise. He is obsessed with getting stronger. Training everyday and expanding his knowledge. I doubt he would turn down an offer to skip a grade... Or am I missing something?? And then there is Sasuke Uchiha. Being in second place has certainly had an effect on him. He's constantly training to keep up with the boy. If I can get him on my side things will get a lot easier. But as long as Itachi is alive I can't do that without him doing damage to the village... Damn you Itachi.'

Danzo clenched his fist as he thought about the Uchiha. He then looked at the blonde whiskered boy and his face had an expression of contempt.

'How could the child of one of the greatest geniuses of an era be a complete idiot? He has no talent and his skills are worse than even the normal students. Looks like his only worth is the nine tails inside him... I need the Sharingan and the power of the first Hokage before I go after him.'

—--------------------------------------------------

It was Sunday morning. The streets of the village were less busy than usual. A plain unassuming man was walking through the road. He traveled for a while before he reached his intended destination. He met a barrier at the front of the house. Nostalgia filled the man as he remembered the day the barrier around the house was set up. He injected chakra into the barrier and it wasn't long before the occupant of the home came out to greet him.