Chapter 96 - Hiruzen's Plan

Kensei's Home.

Kensei let out a long sigh and after thinking about what Hiruzen said, made a decision. "So what's the plan?"

"I've already tasked some of my best agents to investigate Root and Danzo's allies within the village. I need you to investigate his ties to the Royal court. During these last few decades Danzo has cultivated a few assets near the Daimyo. I need you to find their identities, their strengths and weaknesses. See if they are truly loyal to Danzo or if they can be turned."

"What about Jiraiya? He has an extensive spy network. Why don't you ask him for help with this?"

"He has a lot on his plate at the moment. The nine tails attack and now the Uchiha massacre has significantly reduced our strength. Jiraiya is currently working on minimizing information leaks and spreading false intelligence. With everything that's happened, we need to show strength... I can't ask him to take on anymore at the moment. That's why I need your help."

Kensei pondered on what the Hokage just said. There were a lot of things that could go wrong with an operation like this. "Hiruzen, we're about to conduct an investigation on the members associated with the Fire Daimyo. If he gets wind of it before we complete the investigation, if anything goes wrong, then it will impact the village as a whole. You realize that don't you?"

Hiruzen nodded. "I'm well aware of the risks, Kensei. Don't forget, I led this village for decades. I know just how much our relationship with the Fire Daimyo means to the village. But I've decided to go forward with this investigation nonetheless. I'm here asking for your help to minimize the risks... You have some businesses in the capital. So there wouldn't be much suspicion if you moved to the capital under the guise of running your business in a more hands on capacity."

Kensei crossed his arms as he thought about the proposal. "I don't want to leave Daichi alone here."

"I'll make sure Daichi is safe."

Kensei looked at Hiruzen and he had a downcast expression. "I trusted you once. And I paid the price. I can't take that chance again."

Hiruzen looked down as he heard those words. "I'm truly sorry about your son... I can't change the past Kensei... No matter how much I want to."

Both of them sat in silence and contemplated what to say next. "I'm going to get us something to drink." Kensei stood up and went to the kitchen to get a bottle of sake and two cups. He returned shortly after and poured two cups. Both of them took a cup and drank the alcohol in it in silence.

After a minute it was the Hokage that broke the ice.

"How is young Daichi?"

"Energetic and training as usual. He's been going at it for months without stopping. But unlike most he actually enjoys pushing himself beyond his limits like this."

"He's the best in his class and the teachers in the academy even know that he's stronger than most of the senior students. They just don't know how much."

Kensei smiled and nodded with that assessment.

"How far has he progressed with the change in chakra nature training?" Hiruzen drank another cup and asked.

"He completed the first two steps of both Earth and Fire chakra". Kensei smirked as he answered that question.

"What??"

The Hokage was shocked. The first step alone would usually take 3 to 7 months to learn. For talented geniuses, that time would be reduced to 1 to 3 months. And it was merely the first step. To learn the second step would take much more time. And the fact that Daichi managed to learn the two steps of 2 chakra natures in a single year astounded him.