Chapter 151 - A Rare Decision

Hokage Tower.

An important meeting was taking place at the Hokage tower between the Jonins assigned new Genin teams and the Hokage. The ninjas reported the results of the Genin exam to their leader.

"Team 01 failed.

Team 02 failed...

.... Team 09 Pass."

Everyone looked at Guy as he gave the results.

"Congratulations Guy."

The Hokage looked at the results. "It seems only one team has passed this year. How troubling."

"Um sir. Kakashi isn't here yet. He was assigned a team too." A Jonin spoke up.

"Yeah but do you really think he'd pass a team? It's highly unlikely." Another ninja spoke, showing his skepticism over the chances of Kakashi passing his team.

"I'll speak with Kakashi when he gets here. The rest of you are dismissed." The Hokage gave the order and all of them left the place.

Some time later his secretary came and informed him that Kakashi Hatake had arrived.

"Send him in."

Kakashi walked into the room and Hiruzen could tell that something was bothering him.

"So what's the excuse this time?" The old kage asked the man.

Kakashi sighed and replied. "No excuse. I was at the memorial stone. I just needed some time to clear my head."

'The bell test was the wrong exam for this scenario.' Kakashi couldn't get Daichi's words out of his head no matter how hard he tried.

Hiruzen nodded and leaned back in his chair. "So how did the test go?"

Kakashi sighed and looked at his leader. "They failed. One of them knew the specifics of the test and the other two couldn't bring themselves to trust their teammate."

"But they got the bells... Or more specifically Daichi got the bells right?"

Kakashi's eyes slightly widened. "You were watching?"

"Yes. I was interested in how far Daichi had come and I'm impressed with what I saw."

"But sir, if you saw what happened then you would know that he only agreed to work with the other two because he knew it was the only way of passing the exam."

"Yes. I'm aware. But the fact of the matter is he did work with them. He made a plan that incorporated their talents and used it to complete the mission..."

"But sir,..."

"You have to understand Kakashi, Daichi has been training under a private tutor for the last two years. He is used to working alone. And from the other student's perspective, he is a year younger than them. Do you really expect kids who never met each other to suddenly trust one another implicitly?"

Kakashi was silent when he heard that. 'The same argument Daichi made.'

"Did you know they were going to fail?" Kakashi asked the kage in a low voice.

Hiruzen sighed and leaned back in his chair. After a few moments he answered. "Seto may not be from a clan but he is skilled. His Taijutsu comes only second to Neji in their class. And Mari is skilled in trap detection, ambush and long range support. I picked those two as Daichi's teammates because after Neji and Tenten they are the best in that graduation class."

He stopped for a moment and Daichi's image appeared in his mind. "I knew failure was a possibility. But I also hoped for Daichi to rally his teammates behind him to help. He did. And I was hoping for those two to overcome their fears and trust each other but... It seems they couldn't bring themselves to do so "