Chapter 146 - Teammates

Hokage Tower - Roof.

Daichi along with several other kids with the Leaf headband were having their identification photo taken. Each student when their name was called would step forward and have their picture taken.

Since Daichi and Lee knew each other they stood together to the side. "See I told you Lee. I knew you would pass if you gave it your all." Daichi told Lee.

"Yes. Thank you for believing in me. It still feels so surreal to hold this headband."

Daichi noticed several students looking at him. He ignored them since he knew most of them were going to fail at the real Genin test. As he looked through the crowd his eyes soon found a long haired kid with the iconic white eyes of the Hyuga clan.

'So that's Neji Hyuga. Looks just like in my memories. I can sense his arrogance from here.' Daichi dismissed him immediately and looked around. Aside from Neji and Tenten he didn't find anyone else interesting.

As Daichi's name was called he stepped forward in front of the camera. He could hear several students murmuring his name and could hear their conversation.

Neji Hyuga looked at the brown haired kid who walked up when the name was called.

'So that's him. Daichi Hekima. The one Daikoku sensei calls a prodigy. Looks like he took early graduation. I wonder how strong he is. He doesn't look like he's from any clan. And he's associated with Lee. So he can't be that strong.'

Tenten also looked at the underclassmen who graduated with them. 'I wonder who's team he's going to be in?'

Several students had different thoughts as they saw Daichi fill out the ninja registration form and leave without even acknowledging them. There were several who had frowns on their faces that someone a year younger than them was graduating with them.

Hokage office.

Hiruzen went through each and every report the academy instructors prepared on the graduating students. He read their strength, their weakness and the field they would most likely be proficient in.

'It seems this year only has a few good prospects. And based on the report Tsunade sent me, Daichi is the best among them by a wide margin. I need to pick a team that balances as well as suits him the best. But that's one problem. I need to select a capable Jonin for his team...'

Hiruzen's mind went through several candidates. 'Guy said he wouldn't mind having Daichi on his team. And since Lee and Daichi are good friends they'll get along splendidly. But that leaves a problem. The Rookie of the year. Neji Hyuga. Guy will no doubt be a tremendous help to the boy and help in improving his Taijutsu strength. But if I put Lee, Daichi and Neji together the team will be completely unbalanced. Hmm...'

Hiruzen read through Tsunade's report and noted Daichi's skills and areas of training he focused on. 'Daichi had mastered the second step of all 5 natures. It's truly unprecedented. Putting him under Guy won't help him much in terms of Ninjutsu. I remembered the kid telling me he's interested in that field. And based on the training he's been doing the last few years he's following that path... Hmm... It seems Kakashi will be a much better suited teacher to the boy. He'll be able to protect them if any problem arises and being a prodigy himself, he'll be able to keep up with the boy.'

Hiruzen decided on Kakashi Hatake as Daichi's Jonin instructor and now looked through the class roster to find two students to put on the team. After some time he made his choice.

'Daichi will need capable teammates. If this team is going to be efficient then I can't put just anyone as his teammates.' The Hokage looked through the students that graduated and found two acceptable candidates. 'These two should do. His Taijutsu skills are good. Only behind Neji Hyuga. And under Kakashi he should grow nicely... And the girl is excellent in stealth and weapons. A long range fighter and infiltrator. After Neji Hyuga and Tenten these two are the best in class. They'll do... I just hope these three can pass Kakashi's test.'