Chapter 114 - The Test

Hearing the name, Tsunade's eyes slightly narrowed but other than that there was no change in her expression.

She remembered the conversation she had with the man several months ago.

Tsunade had told him that she would only meet the boy and only after assessing him would she even consider taking him under her. She made sure to emphasize that she was only doing this as a favor to her old sensei.

Kensei agreed and said that he would keep her identity secret. He wanted to surprise the kid.

'So this is the boy huh. It seems Kensei really didn't tell him about me. Well... I'm not going to spoil the fun...'

Tsunade looked at the child who was finishing his plate. 'At first he came off as rude but he surprisingly has a respectful personality. Still... I need to see if he's as good as sensei makes him out to be.'

Tsunade took another swig from her bottle. "Kensei huh. You're his grandson?"

Daichi looked up at that. "You know him?"

"We've met." The medic Sannin didn't elaborate any further and continued her drinking.

Daichi had a thoughtful face. 'Hmm... In hindsight I should have guessed that. Kensei is from the third Hokage's generation. And he was strong and formidable enough to have a nickname. So it stands to reason that she knows him.'

Daichi looked at the woman who was currently more concentrated on her alcohol than anything else. 'Is it possible...' A thought appeared in Daichi's mind but he dismissed it, thinking it was absurd.

Daichi looked out the nearby window and saw that it was getting late. 'I better head back. And I don't want to overstay my welcome.'

Daichi got ready to leave. "It's getting really dark out. I should get back home. Again, it was an honor to meet you Lady Tsunade. Miss Shizune..."

Daichi nodded to the two of them. Tsunade didn't even bother looking at him and just gave a small wave of her hand indicating her dismissal while Shizune was more courteous.

"Good night Daichi. Get home safe."

Daichi left the restaurant after paying the bill for the table.

"So that's the child Kensei and Lord Jiraiya were talking about huh." Shizune spoke after Daichi left.

"It seems so." Tsunade looked at the exit and then turned to her apprentice. "Did you notice?"

Shizune's face turned serious. "Yes. His footsteps. It didn't make any sounds. And his presence... It was similar to those who conceal their chakras. I wouldn't have even noticed him if he hadn't spoken."

Shizune was there during the meeting with Kensei. She was surprised that the Hokage was making her teacher take on another student.

Tsunade nodded with her student. She knew a capable ninja when she saw one. From just this one interaction she knew Daichi was more than he seemed.

A smirk slowly formed in her face. 'Looks like this trip will be more interesting than I thought.'

—-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Daichi walked through the illuminated streets of the capital. The lights coming from the fancy lanterns gave off a festive atmosphere.

'My 'observe' didn't show anything on Tsunade but I was able to get some information on her apprentice. Based on her stats I'd say Shizune is currently in the middle of the Jonin spectrum. A student of a Sannin and a talented medic ninja that very few can match.'