Chapter 170 - Ninjutsu Mastery of Tobirama Senju

Hiruzen was slightly surprised when he heard that answer. 'I thought he would start with his primary affinity. Earth...'

The old kage was silent for a few moments as he contemplated the choice.

"Water is certainly a versatile element. Can you tell me the reason for choosing that?" He asked the boy.

Daichi weighed the pros and cons of telling the man why he wanted to start with that. A couple seconds later he ultimately decided to inform the kage of his reasons.

"The versatility of water isn't just in its attack and defense. It's also in its element. Water when cooled down can be turned into ice or if heat is applied can be turned to steam. Ice and steam is something most people see as different elements but at their core they are a subdivision of water."

Kakashi and Hiruzen's eyes widened as they realized where the boy was going with this and they were astonished at what Daichi was intending to do.

"You don't actually think you can use Ice Kekkei Genkai jutsu do you?" Hiruzen asked. In his mind he already knew the answer but he wanted to hear it from Daichi's mouth.

"Yes sir. But not in the way you think." Daichi replied.

Seeing the Hokage's silence, Daichi continued.

"I'm not from the Yuki clan so I won't be able to create Ice particles out of nothing and use Ice style jutsu like them. But if I master water nature to its highest degree, even greater than Lord Second, then I believe I'll be able to turn the existing water around me to Ice and use that to my advantage. By removing heat and cooling down water to 0°C then I'll be able to create Ice. The same in the opposite can also be done and I get steam." Daichi replied and looked at the Hokage.

Hiruzen was amazed at what he heard. It reminded him of the few times with the second Hokage where the man would tell him theories on what was possible. "The logical answer to what you just said is that it's an impossibility..."

The young Genin said nothing as he looked at his leader.

Hiruzen sighed and spoke. "Daichi what you're saying... You're not the first person to think that. Lord Second also had theories that it could be achieved but he was never able to do it... Do you really believe you can succeed where he failed?"

The boy gave a small smile and replied. "I won't know unless I try?"

"You're determined to go through with this aren't you?"

"Yes sir."

Hearing Daichi's strong hearted reply, Hiruzen got up from his seat and went to the corner of his room. He made several seals in a second and focused his chakra on a particular seal etched into the floor. The next second a box appeared and Hiruzen opened it. Rummaging through it for a minute he found what he was looking for.

Hiruzen closed the box and the next second it vanished. He made his way back. 'In the handful of decades only a few powerful ninjas have ever laid their eyes on this. And I'm about to give this to a Genin no less... Even if I refuse, he's just going to go to Kensei and one way or the other I'm sure Daichi will get what he wants. He's becoming so strong in such a short amount of time...'

Hiruzen hesitated for a moment but ultimately decided to give the boy a chance. He gave the scroll to Daichi and sat down in his chair.

The young Genin took the scroll and inspected it. It was a dark blue scroll with the insignia of the Senju clan on it.

"That scroll was written by the Second Hokage himself. His training methods and the theories on Water Nature... The possibilities... All of them are written down in detail. Your talent is undeniable. Since you've insisted on this, lets see what you can do." Hiruzen spoke.