Chapter 26

The bright day passed, and the sky began to darken. It's almost time for dinner. Luana put down the ladle she had been using to stir the pot and looked out the window.

"Is there something out there?"

When Way asked, she shook her head.

"I was just looking around the garden to refresh my mind."

'Aren't you looking at the garden too often?'

Way refrain from asking such a question. Since the morning, Luana had been acting like she had left her mind somewhere. She made a series of mistakes that she didn't usually make when cooking, and she almost broke the jar she valued so much. She might have spilled all the precious spices if Way wasn't next to her.

It is like that even now. After stirring the pot five times, Luana looked out again. As she looked in the direction, she seemed to be looking at the front door.

Only one person would enter the main gate around this time.

"Are you waiting for the duke?"

"No, I'm just looking at the garden. The flowers are so pretty."

There were no flowers in the direction where she looked. Because not long ago, some part of the garden was turned upside down to be redecorated. It was only later that Luana realized that, and there was an awkward expression on her face, then she started stirring the pot again.

"It's just,"

Way quietly listened to Luana.

"I packed a lunch box today. I'm just wondering how it went."

"I see. If you are a cook, you are curious about the reaction when someone ate it."

"Right?"

Luana, who had been sullen, brightened up. Then, now she started to look directly outside.

"The food will burn."

"Ah, right!"

Luana was very busy. She stirs the stew while looking at the front gate. And not long after, the person she had been waiting for arrived. She quickly finished cooking the stew, put the lid on, and ran outside before Way could say anything.

A big black horse entered the main gate, and Luana stood at the door. The duke got off his horse and looked at Luana.

"How was the lunch box?"

Her face was full of expectations. The duke looked at her for a moment and then gave her the answer she was looking for.

"It was delicious. Your Majesty was also satisfied."

'Why is he mentioning the emperor?'

Luana looked puzzled. He packed it for him to eat alone, but he ate it with the emperor again. It was enough for them because she packed a lot anyway, but she felt it was strange.

"Do you usually eat with His Majesty?"

"He doesn't have that much time."

That means it's an exception this time. Luana pondered, but only for a moment.

'I guess he just wanted to eat together.'

As long as the duke protects her, she decides not to think deeply because there is nothing the emperor will do.

"And tomorrow, we'll go to the imperial palace together."

"What? Why?"

'Could it be that he liked her lunch box that much?'