Chapter 48

After Luana left Gerald's side, he also left his house. It was not a simple trip. He intended to revisit all the places he had been with Elanya. He sometimes stops by other witches on the way. It was all to find out how to lift the curse. The duke was displeased, but he made it a decision because Luana was by his side.

When the curse is lifted, there will be no excuse for the duke to hold onto Luana. He might set Luana free. Gerald clicked his tongue at the thought of the duke who had clung to Luana. He recalled Luana, who said she was not in love with the duke.

He traced the trail of Elanya. And finally, he reached the village where they had lived together when they were young. It was a quiet, closed town. At first glance, it seemed like a simple and peaceful village, but the people living here were ignorant. This was because there were no people to educate them and deliver news from outside. Knowing nothing is sometimes scary.

For that reason, Elanya's childhood was not smooth either. At the entrance to the village, Gerald did not go inside but turned into the forest. He went to the hideout where the two often used to hide and play.

Deep in the forest is a small open space between the thick woods. He still remembers it now. The place was still familiar. He felt like young Elanya was going to run out of nowhere. And then she'll shout.

'Hello, Gerald!'

He couldn't help smiling around. Gerald took a breather sitting on a flat stone in the corner. He looked back at his memories. Just because he was a long-lived wizard didn't mean he remembered everything. No, he can't. His body couldn't hold out to remember everything.

'Gerald, I will have a wonderful love growing up.'

In her childhood, Elanya was an innocent girl who believed in her love. As she grew up, even when betrayed by that love, she believed in it until the end.

Gerald recalled what Elanya had said one by one. And he remembered the words of the witches he visited on his way here.

"You want to break the curse?"

They were all puzzled. They didn't understand Gerald's insistence on breaking the curse by his kind. However, it has shown enough favors.

"Then maybe it's love?"

"What does love have to do with curses?"

"Elanya liked romantic things, didn't she? Considering the situation where the witch's curse was placed there. Could it be like this?"

Eat food prepared by loved ones.

Elanya is a gourmet witch, so it was a plausible story. Usually, witches use their main abilities to curse and release them. But Gerald looked displeased.

'If you think that way, why haven't the other dukes been able to lift the curse so far?'

"You know, nobles don't cook their own meals. The duke wouldn't have been any different. And they get married by politics rather than by love."

"That's true."

"Try pretending to be tricked*. If you try anything, you'll figure it out someday. And love was a traditional way to break the curse. If you look at the records, that's how it went."

*TL/N: 속는 셈 치고 is a Korean expression that is used when someone recommends somebody else to do something even when there is a risk.

Then the witch laughed happily. She doesn't give further attention to it because it's not her job either. But she was helpful. He could hear what they thought from a different point of view. He gathered so many opinions; he considered Elanya's personality and reached a rough conclusion.