Chapter 81

'She is fine now, but should I leave her alone even if time passes?'

How about the emperor who killed all of her family? She tried to suppress her mixed feelings as much as possible, but her body began to tremble in anxiety. She knew that the duke thought of Luana differently, but how well could he protect her? The end of the kingdom seemed to flicker before her eyes.

She wanted to be strong, but in the end, she couldn't. She couldn't protect her only younger sister; there was no way she could be strong. Ingrid held back her anger, stared at the bulletin board, and turned around.

There was nothing she could do now. She wanted to run to the emperor and shout to give her Luana if she could. But, that would only go the way the emperor wished to. The only person around was Cain, who was injured.

'So you're going to abandon your sister?'

Questions rose from the depths of her mind. No, she wasn't throwing her away. Things just didn't work out. Even if she desperately denied it, the question that remained deep in her heart did not disappear.

'Are you going to throw her away?'

Her steps become heavier.

When she returned to the unowned bard, where she had stayed for a while, Cain welcomed Ingrid.

"Are you back?"

"Yes."

Cain, looking at Ingrid's complexion for a while, asked.

"Is there any bad news? You look pale."

"What?"

Ingrid swept her own cheeks. She had exposed the conflict deep inside her heart.

"I don't know what's going on, but can I hear it?"

Cain politely asked. Even if he finds out, nothing will change. Even though she knew it, the question sounded so caring that Ingrid desperately held back her tears. And she explained what she saw in the village as calmly as possible.

"Miss Ingrid wants to save Miss Luana."

And Cain, who concluded the whole story, said that.

"I want to save her, but-!"

Ingrid pursed her lips.

'I am incompetent. I tried to be so strong, but this is how it ends. It wasn't easy to achieve it even though I knew I shouldn't give up.'

She sat down with her hands wrapped around her head. As soon as her mind was disturbed for a moment, Cain said.

"If you want to save her, go save her."

"What?"

At first, Ingrid thought she had misheard. She thought Cain, who had always been cool-headed, would oppose the idea. However, he encouraged her to do what she had been hesitating about.

"Miss Ingrid, What exactly do you want 'Ingrid' to be?"

"What do I want to be?"

She wanted to be a queen. She wanted to revive the kingdom by becoming a queen rather than a queen who stood by Cain and supported him. The idea that had been hidden so far popped out.

"Queen, I want to be queen."

"Then be the queen."

"What? Is Cain okay with that?"

"Why would I not be okay?"

Cain was somewhat aware of Ingrid's wish. But he didn't mean to push her because he had looked down on her. She was stronger, and she wanted to save her kingdom. But look at her now. It was none other than Ingrid who saved Cain, who had nearly died at the hands of the duke. She plucked up her courage and stood firm to save his life. Then why doesn't he give this life to her?