Chapter 37

When the duke opened his heavy eyes, the first thing he saw was the ceiling. He stared at the ceiling for a moment, then turned his head. The doctor was dozing off, and there was no one else. He tried to move his body but paused because he felt pain in his hand. He suddenly came to his sense, and he remembered all the memories.

Early in the morning, the duke went to see Luana. It was his daily routine since she was put in a dungeon. When he went there, he could see Luana grunting at him. She seems to think she doesn't show it, but it is all shown in her eyes.

He should have punished Luana for recklessly crawling, but he didn't want to. Instead, he would put things for her in the dungeon every time he went. He followed his own heart, just like the doctor advised.

'This is a mess.'

Even with that thought in his heart, he couldn't stop what he did because he always saw Luana smiling whenever a new item came in.

Why do I feel better whenever she smiles?'

He hasn't found the right answer yet. No, he might never find it again.

"Luana."

In the end, Luana sided with the witch. The duke expected that to happen, but he still had her in his mind. The reality was brutal as always. Since she is a witch, another witch must have come to the rescue. Of course, she would always pick the witch's side rather than the humans. They are from the same race, after all.

The duke looked at his hands wrapped in bandages. He bit it so hard that he felt pain every time he moved. It was rather urgent at the time. The unknown powder clouded his mind, and his eyelids gradually closed. In that situation, Luana tried to run away.

She was the only witch he got his hands on properly. Luana was the only clue to lift the curse and the master of his unknown emotion. He couldn't just miss this chance, so he reached for Luana, but she didn't hold his hands. She seemed confused at that time, but that was it. The only witch left with the other witch, and all that remained were dark feelings and his deep wounds.

The duke tried to recall Luana's expression that he saw through the fog, but it was not clear. Did she laugh, did she cry, or did she get angry? He doesn't know.

'I wanted to see your expression more properly.'

He didn't see anything. Under the bandaged hands, his arms got skinny again, just like before he met Luana. But no one was here now to promise him that he would gain weight.

'Why didn't I put him in her own room instead of in a dungeon in the first place?'

That's what he had in mind. If it had been like that, then she wouldn't escape. He felt as if he had returned to the time when he was a helpless child who couldn't do anything. But for a moment, the duke clenched his wounded hand. The pain cleared his mind.

'No, I don't care if I missed the chance.'

Wouldn't it be nice to catch her again? He was no longer the helpless child who could do nothing.

"Wake up."

The doctor, who was nodding and dozing off, opened his eyes at the Duke's words.

"Duke!"

The doctor, who had a happy expression, looked very embarrassed when he saw the bandage with blood stains.

"Oh my, the wound is open. I'll bandage it again!"

"It's fine. How long has it been?"

The doctor hesitated, then answered.

"It has been two days."