60 ➳ agency life // d.o

i kind of wanted to play more league with the port mafia support, though unfortunately she refused this time around, saying that she needed to prepare for something for the team. it made me a bit sad, not gonna lie, but i'm unsure why is that.

to make it even more sad, the agency finally has a job for me to do. yay.

well, perhaps i just got accustomed to my usual day that i'd be walking around the city because i'm still new to the agency and i'm mostly giving small and easy tasks to do within an hour or two. this time, they finally gave me a task that requires my presence within the office of the organization.

"the boss wants that done within today, mr. dazai. his words, not mine." one of the secretaries of the boss told me. i just nodded in response followed by a flashy smile to show my fake enthusiasm for the task at hand.

sometimes i wonder if following the light at the end of the tunnel was a good idea. i just followed odasaku's advice to me, and while i was free from the tormenting toxicity of my teammate in port mafia, i'm not sure if replacing that with a mundane office work from nine to five was any better.

or maybe i'm just being impatient. i want to get out there and do actual detective agency work, man!

sadly though, due to port mafia's negligence to officially announce my departure, the agency had to compromise that by giving me work just within the building. it wasn't until recently that my former team got the word out as to why i left, though it still may not be a good time for the agency to let me out just yet - not until the tournament is over, i presume.

overall, i'm really not complaining that much; there's nothing wrong with the agency life. it feels bright and friendly here, compared to port mafia's dark and edgy motifs as an organization.

well, enough with my inner thoughts.

i opened my work laptop to get started on this task that the boss had asked me to do. it was related to the upcoming tournament finals that was to be held two days from now. one of the roles of the agency in the esports scene was to ensure that there is no cheating that occurs within the game as a collaboration with the league devs, as well as overseeing the safety of everyone in the venue. for today, i'll be reviewing some footage from the stadium to check if anything seems off.

as i was scanning these footages clip per clip, my mind started to wander with thoughts of xyren slowly clouding my mind. somehow i still couldn't shake off the feeling that eventually she was going to face the same fate as i did in the team. but ah, i can't really do anything about it - i can practically already her that monotonous voice of hers saying 'i'm fine, i don't need help. i can manage on my own' or at least somewhere between those lines.

and even if i wanted to help her, i most certainly cannot. not when i'm keeping my friendship with her a secret from the agency; both organizations won't be so happy if they find out that the agency's intern is still keeping interpersonal tabs with their opposing organization.

me being able to join the agency was leniency enough.