24 ➳ reported // d.o

it's almost 23:00, as dictated by my silver yet old-fashioned wall clock. xyren should be home around this time, and it should be safe to ping her a message.

if anything, the last person that i want myself to get caught by is the team, most especially chuuya.

grabbing my phone which was idly sitting next to my logged on laptop, i opened the message thread that i created.

"you home?"

i mean, she should already be home; she mentioned the curfew hours that they have, which took her a while to get out at 5am, and therefore she should follow their dorm's rules to avoid getting in trouble.

beep. a short-lived sound emits from the device.

"yeah. go ahead."

my thumb immediately found its way to the green dial button, in which it only took a ring and a half before a monotonous female voice came to greet my hearing. there were also background noises of chewing of some sort, so i assume that she might be still eating.

"so how was today?" i asked in glee. deep down my mind i really wish that she was convinced about what we talked about a while back.

"good," was her one word response before into another interval of chewing. "nothing unusual."

i want to tell myself that i am, in fact, highly convinced that xyren was not pleased with her findings. on the other hand, who am i to judge so quickly when she sounds the same to all known emotions on earth?

i sighed. "you aren't convinced, are you?"

"hey," xyren chews again. i don't have any idea if i'll be hearing her voice more or her chewing most in this call, but she proceeds anyway. "this might be hypocritical coming from me, but i know for a fact that a human test subject for a research doesn't take a day to complete."

i was left speechless; she sounds like a nerd.

xyren has taken note of the silence, so she continued to stress out. "i mean, i go by a philosophy that you can't just assume a person is evil just because of one mistake."

ugh, i knew it. i knew that having to have her findings surrendered after the day wasn't going to work.

but i, dazai osamu, won't give up that easily — of course, the future psychological being of a beautiful woman lies in the hands of me!

"would you bother to continue observing him, though?" i asked, hoping that maybe i'd still have a chance to defend my theory.

"no need to tell me, brunette," she was speaking in a flat tone, but the pitch was stronger this time. "even if i'm not told, i notice everything."

creepy. for a brief moment i really thought i was talking to a legitimate ghost.

"but just to accomplish my 'daily report'—" xyren got interrupted halfway through her sentence, her attention obviously diverted by someone else. i could hear another person on the line and she was doing her best to explain that she was just talking to a friend she recently obtained.

"sorry about that."

"it's fine, dear. so what was it now?"

"if this satisfies you, nakahara was flaming in chat during our last two games. i just gave him the benefit of the doubt that he was tired and that he will easily get tilted."

that's the chuuya of my reasons of why i quit! i want to tell her that, but it's given that she's unconvinced, so why bother?

i swear, i'm going to prove me right one day, nakahara chuuya.