66 ➳ the ada // d.o

"good morning, japan! today is finals day for our local league of legends pro teams! what are the odds that we will be having a showdown between two underrated teams, partner?"

"you got that right, partner! today's match will be a best-of-five battle between the armed detective agency and the port mafia, to which have their own unique reputations but are practically underrated as you've said. port mafia recently just had risen from the slumps, while the ADA had been making a name for themselves for quite some time now."

"well, i wonder how'd that turn out later in the game! we won't get our usual known teams, you know? that's kind of a rare chance of happening!"

"right. whoever emerges victorious in today's finals will be the one to represent japan for the bigger tournament against other asian countries, partner!"

so on and so forth. the talk of the town for the entire morning was about the league finals. funny enough, the agency league team will be facing my former teammates. while the entirety of the agency team is aware of these, the blockheads at port mafia do not know that i now work for their opposing team.

speaking of opposing team, i haven't heard a hitch from my good pal xyren at the mafia team. it's none of my business to pry on port mafia's grandiose schemes under mori, of course, but i guess being acquainted with someone there piques your curiosity. what is this thing that xyren mentioned regarding 'preparing something' for the team?

it can't be something within the game, i can at least attest to that. none of their members have been going online for the past two days, and the woman had not messaged me anything else after her last text. i didn't want to bother them, either, especially if it means exposing my relations with xyren.

ah, but whatever. today, i focus on my own team. unlike other days wherein i was free to do whatever the hell i wanted, the ADA is playing for the finals, so we were summoned at the stadium early to check the computers and security cameras in the venue.

while i don't personally get to play at the arena, i do get the privilege to be with the agency's league team at the waiting room. fukuzawa acts as the agency's main ceo and coach of the league team, kunikida as the leader of the league team and their adc player, atsushi being the mid laner, kenji the jungler and the youngest player in the pro-play scene, tanizaki as the kunikida's support, and our import player poe who resides as the team's top laner.

all i can say about them is that they're a very humble team in comparison to the folks where i used to be. however, their humility is not something to be underestimated. the ADA has their own way of getting through the team despite looking like an underwhelming team. truth is, from what i've seen so far, is they're miles ahead in terms of strategizing in advance and on the spot. but then again, we do have edogawa ranpo on the team, which is like any organization's wet dream. the guy is practically the best analyst of the entire japanese league.

anywho, while i was about to wrap up my task in checking the player's individual computers, president fukuzawa approached me in his usual stern and serious face. ah yeah, i remember now - i think he had something to say to me.

"greetings, president!" i greeted with much enthusiasm. "i didn't forget the memo, don't worry! i'll meet you in your office back at the agency later today, yes?"

president fukuzawa just nodded in response; a man of few words, he is. the president probably just checked up on me to make sure i remembered the agenda since he proceeded to be on his way back to the agency's waiting room without another word. i must say though, even for just a less-than-a-minute interaction, i felt some sweat forming on top of my head if that went on any further.

i let out a sigh of relief. whatever we're going to discuss at the end of the shouldn't be all that bad, i hope. but for now, we have the league finals to keep an eye on.