22. Sneaky

"We haven't spoken much... since. A regret of mine. We should be free to speak our minds to one another." Viserys remarked. He knew that Taelon and Nyra spoke often daily, hourly, they were connected at the hip some days it seemed. 

"You can say whatever you'd like. You are the King." Rhaenyra reminded him and Viserys chuckled. 

"What is this about father?" Taelon asked wrapping an arm around the back of Nyra's chair. 

'I loved your mother... very much.'

'As did we.' Rhaenyra assured her fingers tap, tap, tapping on table. 'Ser Harrold provided a fine field of tourney knights.'

'Oh?' Viserys questioned

'But in questioning them, I discovered that Ser Criston was the only man among them with true battle experience." Rhaenyra told him.

"Yes, that and the fact that he beat Daemon to the ground. Something I always hoped to do myself. Quite the sight." Taelon agreed. 

"He'll make a fine knight of the Kingsguard." Viserys agreed. 

"Father?" Taelon asked impatiently. Viserys opened his mouth but saw the blood dripping onto the table. he looked to his finger. Damn throne. 

"I'm sorry, I forgot I have something to handle." Viserys remarked getting up and heading out. 

"Another lovely supper with father." Taelon mused clinking his glass with Rhaenyra. 

+

"This is our best chance to save the digit, Your Grace." Mellos remarked. ' The maggots will remove the dead flesh and hopefully stop the advance of the rot.'

'I held an audience earlier today with Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys.' Viserys remarked needing to change the subject.

"That was most charitable of you, Your Grace. I'm sure Lord Corlys appreciated the spirit of it." Mellos told him.

"He proposed a marriage." Viserys disclosed.

"To whom, Your Grace?" Mellos pondered.

"The Lady Laena." Viserys told him and Mellos stopped examining his hand. 

"For the prince Taelon." Mellos realized. 

"No." Viserys corrected. 

"For... yourself?" Mellos asked flabbergastered. Viserys nodded, he had the same reaction.

 "To combine the strength of our houses, and demonstrate my reign's strongest days are ahead, not behind." Viserys relayed the message.

"Lord Corlys has overreached, Your Grace." Otto told him 'Such matters must be discussed with the Small Council." Otto reminded him biting back the edge to his voice.

"That is what I'm doing, presently. So... what is your advice, dear Otto." Viserys told him.

"The Lady Laena... is young, Your Grace." Otto told him trying to think of a reason to void this immediately.

"Indeed, but the wounds made by the Great Council still linger, my King. A match with their daughter would go a long way towards sealing the breach and uniting the two great Valyrian houses would certainly signal unity throughout the realm and beyond." Mellos reminded Otto. "Prince Taelon is in need of a bride."

"He doesnt want Laena for Taelon." Viserys repeated annoyed. 

"The Grand Maester's reasoning is sound." Otto agreed stiffly.

"I do fear what Rhaenyra and Taelon might think." Viserys added softly.

"What does it matter, Your Grace? Their mother has passed. Their father must propagate the royal line." Mellos reminded him. 

"Taelon will have words." Viserys remarked. 

"He usually does." Otto agreed. 

"I have an heir, I have a son whom shall inherit the iron throne. I don't understand why a union, my hand is important." Viserys remarked. "I still grieve Aemma."

"I, uh, dearly loved my own lady wife. The pain of her passing still haunts me. And to be compelled to... replace her for duty's sake." Otto said offering his own wisdom to the situation. "You are the King. But I do not envy you." 

+

Tommen couldnt stop the cackle that escaped him as he pushed into Taelon's room. 

"You will never guess what I just-" Tommen stopped himself before he realized it was just Nyra curled up next to Taelon. "Scoot." Tommen instructed nudging Nyra over, closer to Taelon. Taelon pulled her in between his legs as Tommen got comfortable. 

"Well?" Taelon asked after a moment. 

"What?" Tommen asked glancing back at him. 

"You come in proclaiming something..." Taelon reminded him. 

"OH!" Tommen sat up. "You will never-"

"Get to it." Taelon declared his fingers toying with the strings on Nyra's dress mindlessly. 

"Yes the anticipation is killing me." Nyra agreed leaning into Taelon, her lip caught between her teeth as she watched his fingers trill over her. 

"Coryls, Otto, and old man Mellos are talking matches. Unions." Tommen declared and Taelon froze. Nyra's head snapped around. 

"What!" Nyra declared turning towards Taelon. 

"I think I should have been apart of those conversations." Taelon agreed aggressively. 

"Not for you." Tommen corrected. "For your father."

There was a long moment of silence as Taelon and Nyra let that wash over them. 

"He is going to replace mum?" Nyra asked confused. "It hasnt been that long."

"What's the rush?" Taelon asked. 

"Corlys is offering up Laena." Tommen informed them. 

"Laena?" Taelon and Nyra questioned simultaneously 

"Hey," Tommen declared raising his hands. "Don't kill the messenger."

"The spy more like." Taelon remarked. "How did you come across this?" 

"I was ease dropping, obviously." Tommen told them innocently. "I'm sneaky like that." 

"Father wouldnt accept that." Taelon said confidently. 

"What did he say?" Nyra asked as Taelon held her to him. 

"He offered up Taelon instead." Tommen remarked. Taelon stared back at him. "Don't give me that look. Corlys doesnt want you."

"I'm a catch." Taelon countered. "Why not?"

"You want to fuck Laena?" Nyra asked incredulously. 

"Nonsense." Taelon assured kissing her forehead. "Why not?" He asked TOmmen again. 

"Something about you being... how do I put this nicely?" Tommen mused. 

"Since when are you nice?" Taelon countered. 

"Good point. He basically said you are Daemon and he doesnt want to ruin his family being tied to a cunt like you." Tommen told him bluntly. Taelon stared back at him before a grin covered his chiseled face. 

"Comparing me to Daemon?" Taelon laughed out. "It's like he doesnt know me at all."