25. Don't Grow a Conscience

'Daemon.'

'The Prince left a missive, which I believe might explain.' He cleared his through reading the scroll "It is the pleasure of Daemon Targaryen, the Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne, to announce that he is to take a second wife in the tradition of Old Valyria. She is to assume the title Lady Mysaria of Dragonstone. Her Grace is with child and is to have a dragon's egg placed in the babe's cradle in the custom of House Targaryen." Viserys stared, annoyance filled him.

"Mysaria..." Taelon repeated. "Well clearly daemon didnt like my wedding gift, but it was more for Rhae than daemon." He murmured. 

"The Prince has invited you to his wedding, Your Grace. It is in two days' time."

"Love a wedding." Taelon declared rubbing his hands together. 

"Gods be good. Who is Lady Mysaria?" Viserys muttered

"We believe..." Mellos said slowly looking around the group.

"Daemon's whοre." Otto spoke up.

"Who else could he get?" Taelon agreed. 

'This is nothing less than sedition.'

'I strongly agree, sire.' Otto told him.

"My brother wishes to provoke me. To answer is to give him what he wants." Viserys remarked his hand fisting, needing to punch something.

"I would gladly give him an answer." Taelon offered. 

"The realm is watching, Your Grace."

"What would you have me do? Send him to the Wall? Perhaps I could put his head on a spike." Viserys mused.

"Oh, that sounds fun. Might I be the one to swing the blade?" Taelon mused, Viserys stared back at him. "You have a good plan father, don't grow a conscience now."

"Taelon." Viserys warned. 

"I'm agreeing with you."

"Daemon has seized Dragonstone, has surrounded himself with an army of gold cloaks, and has now stolen a dangerous weapon..." Otto told him.

"What weapon?" Taelon asked. 

"A dragon egg." Otto told him. Taelon stared back at him a moment longer. 

"he stole.." Taelon put a hand to his heart. He looked to Nyra. "He stole our egg." Taelon remarked and Nyra stared back at him wordlessly, our egg. "The one we picked for Baelon." Taelon informed the council and Nyra's heart plummeted.

'Assemble a detachment, Otto. I will go to Dragonstone and drag Daemon back to face justice myself.' Viserys told him.

"Father, allow me the honor." Taelon declared. 

'Your Grace. My apologies, Your Grace, but I cannot allow it. It's too dangerous.' Mellos told him.

'Daemon is without limit.'

'Let me go to Dragonstone.' Rhaenyra offered.

+

'You're the most comely girl at court. Why do you destroy yourself? Hm?" Otto questioned grabbing his daughters hand to stop her from destroying her nails. 'Will you see the King tonight?'

'If you wish it.' Alicent agreed her eyes drifting to Criston coming down the hall. 'Good day, Ser Criston.' Alicent wouldnt be a mess if Otto just allowed her try and get closer to Taelon. She wouldnt be picking her nails bloody she would be swooning gleefully. Swooning, why couldnt he see that?

'My Lady. I've assembled 20 of your best household guards, my Lord Hand. Sir Harrold will also join us.' Cole told them as Alicent tried to act natural and calm but she was failing she was a mess of nerves.