70. Vicious Petty Lies

"What happened?" Nyra begged as she clung to Taelon.

"Cole the cunt started shouting he was drunk its nothing." Taelon assured.

"Taelon you can tell me." Nyra assured leaning into him. 

"TOmmen and I used to have our fun." Taelon remarked softly. Nyra nodded remembering very desperately wanting to be the girl in between them for a time. "Cole starting spewing that Tom fucked you and our children were not ours... Tommen handled it." 

"Oh Taelon-"

"It's... I'm going to get everything sorted." Taelon assured hugging her tight. "Don't worry your gorgeous head about it."

+

''It fills me with unrelenting shame.' Lyonel remarked.

''So that's what this is about then? Your shame.'' Harwin countered

''Our shame, Harwin!'' Lyonel shouted back. ''Shame on the whole of House Strong.' Tommen huffed out a breath.

''Because I laid my hands on that insufferable Cole, the son of a steward?'' Tommen countered incredulously. "You didnt hear him-"

''He is a Knight of the Kingsguard now, a defender of the crown.'' Lyonel corrected through an exasperated breath.

"He was throwing slander around about the prince the heir my best friend my brother!" Tommen declared. "I wasnt about to let his vicious and petty lies spread!"

''You have laid us open to accusations of an uglier treachery.'' Lyonel spat

''And what treachery is that?'' Tommen countered annoyed.

''Don't play the fool with me, boy. Your intimacy with the Prince and your suitors when you were younger was one thing but now... have you? With the princess Rhaenyra since they wed?" Lyonel questioned

"Father!" Tommen shouted.

"If so it is an offense that would mean exile and death... for you, if the children were not Taelons... for the children!'' Lyonel reminded him sternly.

''It is rumor only... spun by the Princess's rivals'' Harwin assured he had to have faith in his brother.

''People have eyes, boy. And after his accusations and you beating the lad to a bloody pulp people will believe it true!" Lyonel reminded him.

''I havent. We havent. Taelon is faithful and Im a great uncle!" Tommen declared. "I wish you would let me be to do as I please and trust me!"

''Have I not these many years? And yet today, you publicly assaulted a Knight of the Kingsguard in the, in the defense of your...''

''You have your honor and I have mine.'' Tommen told him solemnly. "I did no wrong. Not with what Cole declared..."

"Its about damn time you both started to grow up."

+

''Will they let me stay?'' Rhaena questioned

''Will who let you stay?''

''The Prince of Pentos.'' Rhaena clarified as she looked away from the fire

''I don't understand.'' lAena said softly.

''He wants you and father... and Baela... 'cause you have dragons.'' Rhaena declared on the brink of tears

''There is more than one way to bind yourself to a dragon. I was without one until I was 15 years old and now I ride Vhagar, the largest in the world. You have a harder road. Baela's dragon was born to her. But if you wish to be a rider, you must claim that right. Your father would tell you the same.'' Laena assured

''Father ignores me.'' Rhaena countered stiffly

''He's doing his best.'' Laena offered but she knew that was a lie. Daemon didnt care for his children. He wanted a son, a heir. That was all any men cared about it seemed.

+

"What is he going to do?" Taelon questioned. 

"I don't know." Tommen muttered as Thorin came in. "Nothing good."

"I will fix this. It is not your fault but Coles." Taelon assured. 

"I can kick his ass." Thorin declared confidently. 

"I know you could bud, but I did that and now I'm in trouble." Tommen remarked. 

"You are my brother, I won't allow this." Taelon declared hugging him tight. "You are my brother."

+

''I miss my brother, Daemon. As I think do you." Laena offered

''I miss Westerosi strong wine. It could be depended on for a few hours of peaceful oblivion. This amber shit that they drink here.'' Daemon countered spilling his wine as he got up.

''Do you never long for home?''

''No.''

''I don't believe you.'' Laena countered

''Believe what you please.'' Daemon said nonchalantly.

'You laud the virtues of Pentos, but you have no interest in it. If you did, you would venture into the city, but instead, you spend your time here, in the library, reading accounts of the same dead dragonlords whose legacy you claim has no hold on you.'' Laena demanded

''Didn't know I was being so minutely observed.''

''You do not sleep.''

''Well, how can I with you haunting my every move?'' Daemon countered glaring back at her.

''Life has, I know, disappointed you.' Laena offered and  Daemon chuckled she wasn't his first choice. ''Perhaps, I too, am not the wife you would've wished for yourself.''

''Laena.'' Daemon said exasperatedly.

''It does not pain me. I have made my peace. But you are more than this, Daemon. The man I married was more than this.''

"You didn't know me then. You don't know me now." Daemon countered.

"Then tell me." Laena retorted. "Why don't you want to go home?"

"Because I'm afraid."