23. Chaos

"I have to tell you something." Viserys remarked. 

"Should I start calling Laena mommy? Because she is younger than me and physically impossible to be my mother, also thats not weird at all." Taelon remarked. 

"You know. Of course you know." Viserys murmured. 

"Of course I know." Taelon agreed. "But what I don't know is why you asked for me and not Nyra and I to tell us both..." Taelon remarked. 

"I want you to speak to Laena as well." 

"No." Taelon said immediately.

"See if you two might-"

"Nope."

"-you are closer in age-" Viserys went on. 

"Never gonna happen." Taelon countered defiantly.

"-she is a great house, a good match-"

"La, di, da, I can't hear you." Taelon said covering his ears with his hands. 

"Taelon, grow up." Viserys begged. 

"Says the man considering fucking an infant" Taelon countered. 

"She isnt... she is young." Viserys agreed. 

"Yes, she is. Also suddenly Velaryon is not my type." Taelon remarked. "The seas, oh im feeling sick already just thinking about the waves-"

"Taelon." Viserys groaned. 

"Father." He countered. 

"I'm going to speak with her and I want you to do the same. Just a talk." Viserys begged. "I want a good choice for the future queens. Your future bride and mine. Just talk with Laena." Taelon stared back at him. 

"Talk." Taelon agreed. 

"Thank you Taelon." 

"Talking. Only talking." Taelon reminded as he walked off. 

"What was it like flying the Black Dread? You were Balerion's last rider."

"Only for a short time before he died. With Balerion died the last memory of Valyria of Old. But Vhagar still lives... somewhere." Viserys said with a sigh. He hoped Taelon would find little Laena charming and consider it. Even if Corlys strongly disagreed to that match. 

"Bit too large for the Dragon pit. Some would say too large for our world." Viserys remarked. He thought of Ragnarok, Taelon's dragon. He was large but sleek, like Taelon himself. Had great precision and Taelon and Ragnarok bonded so well. 

 "Do you know where she nests?" Laena questioned.

"I'm sorry?" Viserys had too much on his mind to be talking dragons with a child, a child he was never going to marry, ever. He knew that for a fact, he didn't know why he was bothering entertaining the idea. Taelon though, younger in age, they could be... Taelon would never agree to it though but Laena would certainly enjoy Taelon's stories better than his own. 

"Do you know where Vhagar is now?" Laena questioned kindly.

"Um, the Dragon keepers believe she made home somewhere on the coast of the Narrow Sea. The workers at Spicetown report hearing her song at times." Viserys told her. "They say it is a sad thing." Viserys added.

"I imagine even dragons get lonely. Your Grace... it would be a great honor to join our houses as they were in Old Valyria. I would give you many children of pure Valyrian blood so that we might strengthen the royal line and the realm." Laena told him, as rehearsed.

"Is that what your father told you to say?" Viserys questioned and she nodded sheepishly. "What did your mother tell you?" Viserys countered.

"That I wouldn't have to bed you until I turned 14." Laena told him honestly and Viserys sighed. 

"I know Taelon was looking for you." Viserys offered. "Perhaps you two can find-" Laena stared back at him. Her father didnt tell her she was to marry Taelon. "-Tommen!' Viserys called out and Tommen froze foot still up in mid step as he glanced back over his shoulder. "Would you be so kind to direct Lady Laena to Taelon?" 

"Taelon?" Tommen asked confused. 

"Your friend, my son, the prince." Viserys offered nudging Laena forward. 

"I know him." Tommen agreed. His gaze shifted from Viserys to Laena and back to Viserys again. 

"Could you..." Viserys said nudging Laena again. 

"Umm..." Tommen's face scrunched as he looked to Laena. 

"Wonderful." Viserys agreed walking away. 

"Sure." Tommen looked to Laena. "Goodness you are tiny." Tommen remarked patting her head. "Lets go."

+

"It bothers you, does it not?"

"My father is a king. It is his duty to take a new wife and strengthen his line." Rhaenyra told Rhaenys.

"I did not ask for a lesson in politics. I asked whether this bothers you." Rhaenys repeated.

"Laena is your daughter, Princess. Does it bother you?' Rhaenyra countered.

"Of course, it does. But I understand the order of things.' Rhaenys told her pompously.

"I'm not sure you do. If you mean to elicit some anger from me, you should know that you're failing, Princess." Rhaenyra warned smugly.

"Quite the opposite. Whether it's to my daughter or to someone else's, your father will remarry sooner than late. His new wife will produce new heirs, better options than your brother."

'There is none better than Taelon." Nyra countered defensively. "He is the heir and he will do great as king one day."

"You foolish girl." Rhaenys countered. "Taelon is chaos." 

"Chaos is a ladder." Nyra countered. "Strong stable and always reaching up higher, to do and be better." Rhaenys scoffed. "Taelon-" Nyra glanced down at Tommen leading Laena away. 

"I'm assuming Taelon is with Rok." Tommen was saying. "Sword or dragons or... well you are a bit young for his other activities." 

"What is she doing?" Nyra asked staring down at them until they disappeared from her vision. 

"Laena will be queen, one king or another." Rhaenys offered. "Does that bother you?" Rhaenys smirked standing up. "Your father remarrying doesnt strike a nerve but the idea of your big brother married off does... insteresting."