35. Kiss Me Now

'He has your hair, Your Grace.'

'He does have my hair.' Viserys agreed, Aegon's silver hair and violet eyes, as he smiled around. 

'He has your eyes, Your Grace.'

'Yes, he does.' Viserys agreed. 'And you have my nose, don't you?'

'Two years old and already our boy has a kingly presence.' Hobart hightower remarked. 

'He may yet, brother, but this morning he insisted on eating porridge with his hands.' Otto mused.

'He will grow. We're quite a party assembled in his honor. And surely by the end of this hunt, we shall have more to celebrate.'

'And what is that, pray tell.'

'It is Aegon's second name day. His infancy's behind him. It only remains for Viserys to name him heir to the throne.'

'I wouldn't be so sure.' Otto told him stiffly.

"Taelon is unreliable. Aegon-"

"Is two." Otto reminded him. "I don't think Viserys would do that yet. Aegon could be even less reliable. We just don't know..."

'Your Grace... I bring urgent news from the Stepstones.' Tyland Lannister said coming forward and putting a halt to the festivities. 'The Crabfeeder has dug in for siege on Bloodstone while his men sabotage our fleet under the cover of dark.

'Not today, Tyland.' Viserys urged.

'The matter of the Stepstones is regrettably urgent.' Tyland assured.

'It's been three years. It can wait another three days.' Viserys said calmly. 'Come, eat. Fortify yourselves for the journey. Please.' Viserys said gesturing to the feast. 'Is the baggage train ready?' Viserys whispered.

'It is presently massing at the River Gate. Lord Jason expects us in the Kings wood before midday.'

'Have you seen Rhaenyra?' Viserys questioned looking around.

'I have not, Your Grace.'

'With the Triarchy now sheltering in Bloodstone's caves, the threat of the dragons is blunted.' Tyland told him following him down the feast table.

'They don't have foot soldiers.' Viserys reminded him piling food on his plate.

'But their sell swords have been withdrawing in droves, Your Grace. Even the mercenaries can see that it is a losing effort.' Tyland went on

'Where's Rhaenyra?" Viserys questioned Ser Cole.

'I cannot be sure at present, Your Grace.' He whispered back

'The Velaryon forces have suffered heavy attrition, Your Grace.' Tyland went on. 'The seeds of dissent are sown amongst the rank and file. Daemon has driven the men hard. They have begun to question his command. If the crown were ever to intervene...'

'Tyland..'

' ...now is the time.' Tyland finished.

'Daemon and The Sea Snake started their war without His Grace's leave. Were he to intervene now after so long, it would make the crown appear weak.' Otto told Tyland as the feast bickered around them.

'Can someone tell me where in the Seven Hells Rhaenyra might be?' Viserys demanded. "Taelon. Find your sister." 

"Excuse me Gia, Dav." Taelon said with a charming smile as he headed out. 

+

♪ Under the dragon's eye ♪ ♪ Under the dragon's eye ♪

'Again.' Rhaenyra demanded as she sat under the tree reading.