55. All Seven Hells

Taelon hadnt been there for Thorin's birth so when Alicent went into labors he wanted to be there. He knew it was stupid but it was his kid. 

Gods, his kid. He was going to hell. He was going to all seven hells. 

"Father," Taelon remarked. "I heard Alicent has begun labors." 

Viserys was still upset with his children but a moon having them back and seeing Rhaenyra so happy, Taelon attending meetings and trying to get back into his good graces, he knew he had to forgive them. 

They were his eldest children, his heir, his heir was having another heir. He should have been filled with joy. Viserys just wished they didnt go behind his back. But he really had left them no choice in the matter. 

"Yes she has." Viserys agreed. 

"Are you... going to be there?" Taelon asked innocently. 

"A mans place is not in the birthing chamber." Viserys reminded him as he turned back to his book. 

"Of course but... it seems like... I don't maybe a nice idea." Taelon offered but Viserys chuckled glancing back at him. 

"I'm sure Rhaenyra will be grateful for that when she looks a mess, screaming and cursing pushing a being out of her." Viserys offered. 

"Mother always said the birthing bed was a woman's battlefield, seems like it's not something they should go through alone." Taelon countered. 

"She is not alone, she has many handmaidens and nurses." Viserys corrected. 

"Right, of course, what was I thinking." Taelon mused as he headed out. 

"I got my sword," Thorin remarked. "I can help you." he told Aegon as Taelon passed them in the courtyard. "You hold it- Hi daddy!" thorin waved back at him. 

"Hi buddy." Taelon crouched between them. 

"They havent been training Aegon, he's behind schedule." Thorin informed him seriously. 

"Well his father is not as awesome as me apparently." Taelon agreed. "Are you going to help him?"

"Yeah, I can't reach the fake swords." Thorin informed him. 

"The fake... oh, the sparing swords yes." Taelon agreed. "Don't want to go slicing Aegon's arm off to match father." Taelon mused handing them wooden swords. 

"I can look after them." Harwin assured coming up behind him. 

"Strong, you look well." Taelon remarked patting his shoulder. 

"Glad to have you back my prince." Harwin informed him. 

"No, you're not." Taelon teased. "I brought your loud and mischievous brother home, I'm sure he steals all the spotlight from you. You have competition once again."

"I'm a knight of the kings guard," Harwin corrected. "I take my vows-"

"You don't have to convince me." Taelon assured. "I can-" he winked back at him dramatically, "-keep a-" another obnoxious wink. "-secret." 

"Maybe I do want you gone, I forgot how obnoxious you two could be." Harwin mused. 

"You wound me, I'm on a mission, stop distracting me." Taelon declared as he headed off. 

"Can I come!" Thorin called after him "Is it a secret mission?"

"Beat Harwin's ass for me." Taelon instructed. Thorin stared up at Harwin. 

"You are going down, old man." Thorin declared and Harwin almost chuckled before Thorin raised his sword, a real double edged blade. "I like that look of fear in your eyes." Thorin informed him confidently. 

"Fucking hell, Taelon!" Harwin called back. 

"Knock, knock," Taelon said as he peered in. 

"My prince, the queen is in no position for visitors." the wet nurse declared. 

"No proper state at all." They all agreed trying to shoo him away. 

"I just wanted to see if I could be of any help." Taelon countered as they swatted at him. 

"A mans place-"

"Is not in the birthing chamber. I know." Taelon assured. "But..." He looked to Alicent. 

"You can come in." She whispered. 

"Your grace, this is not right." 

"Not right at all."

"You are not in proper attire, your hair is a mess, you look a right mess." 

"Wow, what a pep talk." Taelon remarked. 

"Your grace, you can send him away."

"YOu can." Taelon agreed. "But I'm here if you want me." Alicent nodded. "Wonderful, what can I do?"

The nurses huffed out a breath, this was really not right. 

"Hold my hand." Alicent requested and Taelon grabbed her hand. 

"What else?" Taelon offered. 

"The queen does the work, we just guide the babe." They reminded him. 

"So, I sit here?" Taelon offered crouching next to her. 

"Prop her pillows, we need a better angle," one of the nurses remarked. Taelon got up but she swatted a hand at him. "Not you."

"Why not me?" Taelon countered. 

"She needs-"

"To be propped up, I heard, I'm not deaf." Taelon informed them. Alicent leaned forward and was surprised when Taelon sat behind her. 'Propped, better?" ALicent leaned back into him. "You are doing great." taelon offered. 

"Thank you." Alicent whispered as he ran his hands along her arms. 

"Where is Taelon?" Nyra asked as Thorin came running up to her in the courtyard. 

"He's on a secret mission.' Thorin informed her. 

"Oh," Nyra crouched beside him. "What mission?"

"It's a secret mission, I don't know." Thorin whispered back. 

"Oh, okay." Nyra looked to Harwin as he panted for breath. "Was there a fight?" 

"No, I just..." Harwin was embarrassed that he had to try so hard to defend against Thorin. "He's five, he fights like he's a full grown man with years of experience." Harwin remarked completely flabbergasted.

"Taelon trained him, Tommen too. Thorin takes his sword play very seriously." Nyra informed them. 

"Its not playing." Thorin corrected. "I'm preparing for battle." 

"Of course, my mistake." Nyra agreed. 

Taelon felt Alicent shake against him, her sweat soaked back as she screamed out. 

"A boy," Alicent let out a shaky breath as she relaxed just a bit, it was done. 

"A boy." Taelon repeated. Populate the earth with little Taelon bastards. Son's to pass on the name. Father would have his damn head. 

"Congratulations your grace." They passed him off to Alicent. 

"Handsome lad." Taelon whispered resting his chin on her shoulder and for a moment she could pretend she wasnt married to Viserys, that Taelon was her husband because this little boy was his. "You are strong, I would have been crying like a baby if I had to push a human from my body." Taelon informed her. They cut the umbilical cord and Taelon's face scrunched up. "What... the fuck..." He murmured. 

"We will tell the king the good news." 

They all looked to Taelon expecting him to leave but he stared down at the baby running a calloused finger over his little head. 

"The queen needs rest." They reminded Taelon. 

"Yes, please leave." Alicent agreed staring at the handmaidens. Taelon waited until the door was closed before kissing her cheek. 

"I'm sorry." He whispered again. 

"I wouldnt change a thing." She assured as she closed her eyes taking in his warmth.