75. Heroes & Villains

Enchanted// rhae royce out now!

When they got back to the castle of driftmark a handmaiden went to fetch the king but he wouldnt wake.

Taelon could hear the collective breath as the king was announced to be dead. The dragon claim long forgotten as Taelon stared back at Nyra. Their father was dead. Taelon was the king. He was the king.

Taelon and Nyra moved quickly to Viserys.

"I don't understand." Taelon whispered.

"He was fine he was just here... he was just..." Nyra whispered. "I don't understand.... he can't just be..."

Taelon felt like he was losing everyone. First tommen and now his father.

"My prince... Your uncle daemon a guard just found him dead by the shores... attacked."

Thorin looked to Taelon proudly.

"My father is dead." Taelon reminded them. "My uncle is of little consequence right now."

"Of course my prince... your grace." Ser harold corrected.

The silent sisters wrapped their father. Taelon watched them as they worked.

"Nymeria was asking for you." Nyra remarked coming up to Taelon. "She wants a song..." Taelon nodded taking a step back.

"I think he knew." Taelon rasped.

"What?" Nyra countered.

"I think father knew... that talk, when he, when we spoke. I didnt even think about it but... I think he knew he was dying. I think he knew he didnt have long so he..." Taelon stopped himself. "I should have done more..."

"Oh Taelon, he couldnt have known. You couldnt have known." Nyra declared. "He didnt tell us how bad it was, he... he didnt tell us how were we supposed to know?"

"I should have said more. I should have, I don't know what I should have done." Taelon admitted. "But I should have... I should have..." Nyra hugged him knowing yet again words would fail. "I'm not ready." Taelon whispered.

"Father thought you were." Nyra corrected. "I know you are."

+

Taelon lay down beside Nymeria as she pulled out a story book for him she flipped it open shuffling through pages.

"This!" Nymeria declared pointing at the page. Taelon leaned into her as he proper the book in his lap.

"Once upon a time... there was a prince, a warrior and dragonrider, the realm..." Taelon flipped the book over, this was one of his blank sketchbooks. He flipped to the beginning. then back to the page. That was Nyra's writing.

"I drew that one." Nymeria remarked pointing at the dragon. "Everyone helped... mama wrote the words though."

Taelon held back a sob as he hugged Nymeria closer.

"Go on. I will tell you all the pictures I drew." Nymeria assured him.

"The realm was skeptical because the prince was wild and free but the king never wavered. Knowing that his son would be a great king because he saw that his son was a great man, a great husband and a great father." Taelon whispered.

"Emma and I drew this!" Nymeria declared pointing at their little stick figure family.

"Beautiful." Taelon agreed. Nyra smiled at him from the door. "How long was I staring at fathers body for?" Taelon questioned.

"A while." Nyra remarked. "They all wanted to do something to make you feel better... keep going." Nyra insisted as she lay beside him.

"The prince had a best friend that became his brother. Became an uncle to his children and had suggested ruling side by side one day. That no one could tear them apart because they burned brighter together... the princes wife said similar and of course she was right. They were meant to be together forever." Taelon read off. The room had filled with all the children as the story went on.

"But as every fairy tale goes there must be a villain, the hero must struggle, so when everything was going great their family growing, their love stronger than ever... our hero, our prince was faced with problem after problem." Taelon rasped. "His family knew he would rise up but he wouldnt be the hero if he believed in himself all along. But that's what family is for."

"And they all lived happily ever after!" Emma declared. "As long as Thorin doesnt marry Helaena..." She added softly.

"Thank you for believing in me."

"Always."

But there was another monster lurking... soon to rear its ugly head.