62. Strengthen the Line

Taelon saw the signs. Emma followed around Thorin like he was the whole damn world. When Nyra had Jace, he started chasing after emma, crawling after her then pulling himself up and stumbling after her. Now he was sprinting after Emma. 

"You wanted to strengthen the line." Taelon recalled. 

"I did. I do." Viserys agreed. "You took that to heart." 

"I did. I do. Often, very frequently." Taelon agreed. Viserys face pinched. "Emma just turned 6, Jace is 4, Thorin and Aegon are the best of friends, you think your children fucking each other would be less traumatic considering you married a child." 

"Alicent is lovely." Viserys remarked. 

"She is." Taelon agreed. "Stop making that constipated look every time Nyra gets pregnant." Taelon requested. 

"We play?" Aemond asked coming up to Taelon. 

"Of course, what are we playing?" 

"Dragon hunt?" Aemond requested. 

Taelon although he did give Aemond two eggs over the years he never got a dragon. Helaena was thrilled when she bonded with Dreamfyre. But Taelon saw Aemond's little face grow sadder. Aegon bonded with Sunfyre and Thorin had been watching Erebor grow, helping him and guiding him as though he were meant to be here in this life, with his dragon with Taelon. 

Taelon thanked the Gods every day for his children. Thorin was definitely becoming a mini Taelon. Taelon didnt like that Aegon and him were as close as Tommen and Taelon were though. It made him think Thorin and Aegon would have a plethora of bastards in no time. Aemond was sweet and smart and tall already. Emma was a little love bug, always smiling and always chasing after her big brother.

Taelon saw the pain in Alicent's eyes when she had fallen pregnant with Daeron. But Alicent was not his wife. He couldnt say father dont fuck your bride she finds you disgusting. Taelon also noticed that Aemond was her favorite. Aegon and Helaena he assumed Alicent only saw the pain of being married to a man she didnt love at such as young age. He tried to push that thought out of his mind but it was hard. 

"Silverwing, Grey Ghost, Verithmer, The Cannibal." Taelon remarked laying out a map of dragonstone. The kids gathered around. 

"We found Grey Ghost when we were Aemond's age." Tommen agreed. 

Aemond was a secret he was taking to his grave. Taelon and Tommen didnt keep secrets but then again, they had a few. In this case what Tommen didnt know he couldnt drunkenly spill out and bring ruin to the Targaryen name. 

"Scaredy cat he is." Taelon remarked.  

"We will get you a dragon." Thorin assured confidently. "We caught a duck when we were Jaces age. We can definitely catch a dragon." Aegon nodded in agreement. 

"A duck?" Jace questioned. 

"Tradition." Thorin remarked. "Your time will come." Thorin put a reassuring hand on his brother's shoulder. 

"Are we doing this?" Tommen declared happily.

"We are." Taelon agreed. "Lets get to work." 

Alicent awkwardly stood next to Nyra as the kids got ready.

"Where are they going?" Alicent questioned. Nyra glanced over at her. 

"A dragon hunt." She answered. 

"A... real dragon hunt?" Alicent countered confused. 

"Yes. Is there any other kind?"

"I don't know." Alicent admitted.

"You were always such a scaredy cat." Nyra remarked. "Taelon is more than capable."

"I know he is." Alicent murmured before clearing her throat.  "Rhaenyra I was hoping that we could... try again."

"Try again?" Nyra questioned. 

"We were the best of friends. For ages... I want our children to get along. I get along well with Taelon. Why can't we?" Alicent offered. 

Nyra had to think about that. It did seem to be water under the bridge. It had been years. Nyra got Taelon it should have been easy to say yes. Lets try again.

"Sure." Nyra agreed after a long pause. "I would like that." Alicent smiled victoriously but then she felt guilty as she looked to Aemond so happy with Taelon. Guilty that Aemond could never know that Taelon was his father. Guilty that she wanted to be friends with Nyra after what Alicent had done, what Taelon had done to her, but Nyra wasnt wed to Taelon yet... she wouldnt, couldnt be upset about that... 

"Wonderful." Alicent agreed. Nyra would kill her if that information ever came to light. 

+

Thorin was a true leader. Aegon was a good follower. Aemond wanted to be just like Thorin. Emma followed around Thorin contently. 

"A union in their future?" Tommen mused as they got to the pits. 

"Seems so." Taelon agreed with a chuckle. 

"I come too!" Jace begged. 

"Me too!" Daeron begged.

"No, little lads you stay with your mamas, we will be back soon." Taelon corrected and Jace pouted back at him. "Don't look at me like that." Taelon begged giving him a big hug. "I suppose there is no point in telling you to stay Emma."

"No point." She agreed as she climbed up with Thorin. 

"Alright then." Taelon agreed as Nyra held Jace to her. tommen saluted Nyra and Alicent as they got ready. "Sunfyre you follow Rok." Taelon demanded pointing at Aegons dragon. 

"Daddy I want to get a dragon too!" Emma declared. 

"Of course you do." Taelon agreed. "Alright, lets go."

"Be careful!" Alicent called after them.