71. Break His Heart

''It is Lord Blackwood's contention, therefore, that the Brackens moved the boundary stones in the dead of the night and put their horses to graze in his field.'' Lyonel declared

''Why was this issue not brought before Lord Grover? Has he grown so feeble he cannot settle a quarrel over rocks?'' Alicent countered.

''I've heard tale that Lord Grover's son now rules Riverrun in all but name.'' Jasper wylde remarked

''Well, he is also a Tully and this remains a Tully problem.'' Alicent told them all.

''I would agree." Taelon remarked. "But a pal of mine is in the riverrun, I can see what needs to be done, if it cant be handled quickly."

"Wonderful." Alicent agreed as Taelon held to Nyra's hand. ''Then, if we may move on, my lords...''

''And yet, the Brackens and the Blackwoods will use any excuse to spill each other's blood. So... this dispute bears looking into. There will be country folk who know where the lines have been drawn for generations.''

''That is easy enough.'' Lyonel agreed ''Of course. Ser Tyland.'' Taelon still had to speak with Lyonel he was, unhappy with Tommen and Harwin. Harwin hadnt thrown a single punch yet he stood up for Tommen.

''Uh, we should address the latest developments in the Stepstones, my lords" Tyland said with a sigh.

''Will we ever be done of that blasted place?'' Viserys murmured

''If you ask me, I think the Blackwoods have the upper hand.''

''No. We've moved on to the Stepstones, Lord Beesbury.'' Alicent told them "Taelon already said he would reach out."

''And the Triarchy's new alliance with Dorne.'' Tyland went on louder.

''I was hoping our negotiations with Sunspear might persuade them to see reason.'' Viserys said with a cough ''To trust a Martell is to be disappointed.''

"I think we need to get the stepstones under control, again I have friends in high and low places I can reach out." Taelon remarked. Viserys thought that Taelon would be a good leader when the time came. He was certainly popular with all the realms and all the regions. Seemed to have friends everywhere. It was a good trait to have in a king.

''And where, I wonder, is our Prince Daemon? Or I suppose I should call him King, as he styled himself when he won a battle there... once.'' Jasper offered.

"Pentos last I heard." Taelon remarked. "And he is no king."

''That was a decade ago and he has since left the region undefended. '' Alicent reminded them.

''We have left it undefended. There should've been fortifications built, watchtowers, a fleet of ships, a garrison of soldiers sent to hold our ground.'' Rhaenyra countered.

''We cannot afford it." Alicent corrected ''Our coffers are great, but not infinite. We must consider the cost to our subjects.''

''I must agree.'' Viserys remarked.

''The cost of war is greater.'' Rhaenyra countered ''But we have been lax and the old monster now lifts its head.''

''My future queen." Taelon declared fondly as he kissed Nyra's head. Viserys coughed out gasping for breath. "Perhaps we end for today... we can always discuss more now that father knows I am capable of leading while he retires to more important matters."

"Thank you Taelon." Viserys agreed "Retire for the night with a good book, that sounds lovely."

''Wait. I wish to speak.'' Nyra declared