~Chapter 9: I Want One Chance

            I walked out of the house, and out of the back door. After telling all that, I wanted to be alone. I was always alone, but now I just wanted my space. All the guests were still in the main room, all socializing. I didn’t want anyone following me, and I thought it was clear, but apparently it wasn’t. “Cordelia!” I heard Niall call me.

            I didn’t turn around. Instead, I walked faster. Go away, Niall, I thought. Can’t you tell I want to be alone? I felt him put his hand on my shoulder. I threw my arms down, annoyed. “What do you want, Niall?!” I asked. “Why do you keep following me?”

            Niall looked at me, a bit surprised. “I… I thought you could use some company.”

            “Well, can’t you see that I don’t want company? I walked off alone, you know. ALONE.”

            He looked at the ground. “I’m sorry. I thought you didn’t want to be alone.”

            “Well you thought wrong.” I started to walk past him again, but he grabbed my arm.

            “For goodness sake, WHAT?!” I asked, exasperated.

            “Let me walk with you? Please? I didn’t come down here for nothing,” Niall begged.

            I eyed him. There was no use arguing. “Alright, fine,” I grumbled. Niall broke out into a smile and his cheeks flushed. I felt him slip his hand into mine like a little boy. I didn’t know why, but I felt like my stomach jumped a little. I had never felt that way before. I had no idea what it was.

~~~~

            With my hand loosely and awkwardly in his, we walked all the way to the nearest park. “Cordelia…,” Niall started. I sighed and rolled my eyes. That sounded like the start of another personal conversation. “Hey, I’m sorry. For what happened.” I looked at Niall, surprised. “I didn’t know your past was so… dark and depressing. I’m sorry. I’m here for you if you need me.”

            I didn’t understand what he meant. No one was ever ‘here for me.’ “I don’t know what you mean,” I replied coldly.

            “I mean, if you need anyone to talk to, I can be that person. You just need to open up.”

            We stopped walking and sat down on a bench. ‘Open up.’ Those two words rang in my mind and I pulled my hand out of his. “Open up?” I looked at him, astonished. “Open up?!” Had he not heard my story? “Do you not understand how difficult it is to trust someone when everyone you had ever trusted has hurt you? Has betrayed you? Has went behind your back? Everyone?” I spilled out to him, my eyes widening. I looked away quickly, turning my head the other way. “No. Of course you don’t understand. Nobody understands.”

            I felt Niall take my hands in his. Strangely, I didn’t mind. “Nobody’s going to understand unless you let them. I understand how you feel, and it might not be accurate, but if you keep shutting people out like this, all you’re going to be is alone. You’re pushing away everyone who cares. You’re not giving anyone any chances.

            “I’ve given too many chances and gotten hurt too many times. I don’t want to be hurt anymore, so I’m just going to avoid every situation,” I replied sadly.

            “You’ve never given me a chance,” I heard Niall say softly, close to a whisper.

            I looked at him, my eyes glistening with tears. “Nobody’s ever asked for a chance except you.”

            Niall scooted closer to me on the bench and put his arms around me. He leaned forward, his face close to mine. I was in shock, so I didn’t respond at all. “I just want one chance, Cordelia. Give me one chance. I’ll prove to you the world was wrong. Please.”

            I felt heat rising to my face again. Then, Niall leaned forward and pressed his lips onto mine. A kiss, I thought. He’s kissing me! I never thought he’d be my first kiss. Niall James Horan, my first kiss?! I was so surprised, I closed my eyes. I had NO IDEA what to do next.