~Chapter 50: You Have A Boyfriend!

            I stared at Cornelius weirdly. He suddenly burst out laughing. “Did you seriously believe me? I don’t like One Direction. But I don’t hate them either. And I have never talked to Niall before. I don’t know what he’s like. But really, you should’ve seen the look on your face! You were like, ‘WHAT’ and then I just started laughing!” He glared at him and stormed to the exit. He grabbed my wrist. “Wait, don’t leave yet!”

            I wrenched my wrist free. “Don’t touch me!” I growled. I was still short-tempered like before.

            “Woah, hey, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to anger you.” He backed away from me. “I was just having a little fun.”

            I glared at him. “Yeah, if you get to know me, you’ll realise I don’t take those things lightly.” I almost spit out those words.

            He sighed. “Look, I apologise, okay? I said I was sorry. Is it really that hard to forgive someone?”

            I took a step away from him. “Actually, it is.”

            “Well, I understand. And I’m sorry.” He turned to walk back into his office.

          “Wait, Cornelius?” I finally called. He turned around and looked at me. “Officer Sheridon’s your dad, right?”

            “Right.”

            I kept a straight face and asked, “Do you have any siblings?”

            Cornelius stared at me. I raised an eyebrow. “No. Not that I know of.”

            “What do you mean ‘not that I know of’?” I intended to force it out of him.

            “Nothing, Cordelia. I don’t want to talk about it. Especially with a stranger like you.” Cornelius turned and left without another word.

            “Well you were the jerk that started talking to me first!” I barked after him. “Cunt,” I mumbled under my breath. I saw the chief staring at me. “What are you looking at?” I asked.

            He laughed and replied, “I don’t think he has any siblings. Never mentioned any.”

            I looked at Cornelius through his office window and back at the chief. “What’s his problem anyway?”

            He shrugged. “Don’t know.”

            I turned and left the police station. He’s so weird, I thought. What’s his deal? Seriously!

~~~~

            “He was such a jerk!” I said to Niall during dinner. I told him about my visit to the police station.

           “So, you saw a younger man there?” Niall asked. I love how that was all he cared about after my whole story.

            I rolled my eyes. “Yeah, babe, but you can relax because he’s no one special.”

            Niall raised an eyebrow at me. “Really?”

            I laughed. “Do you really not trust me, Niall?”

            He smiled. “I do, babe. I’m just playing with you.” Niall kissed me.

~~~~

            “I’m going out for photoshoots today, babe. I might come home a bit late. Love you!” Niall kissed me goodbye before leaving the house.

            I sighed. I didn’t know what to do, so I called Janelle to see if she was available. I had grown quite fond of her, and I’ve never grown quite fond of any girls before. Not even Adriana. “Hey, are you able to hang out today?” I asked.

            “I love how you can just sit around and do nothing all day because you have a rich and famous boyfriend, Cordelia,” I heard Janelle joke over the phone.

            “Hey, hey now. I’ll find a job. Maybe I should start modeling,” I joked back.

            “Oh, you should! You really should. I mean you’re pretty and you have a nice body.”

            “WOAH, there. Lies spoken by Janelle.” We talked for a while before deciding where to meet up.

~~~~

            “So there’s this guy at the police station… His name’s Cornelius,” I started.

            “CORDELIA! You have a boyfriend!” Janelle exclaimed.

            “Oh my god! Why does EVERYONE think I’m interested in a guy when I start talking about him? My eyes are set on Niall and ONLY Niall. I mean, who would be stupid enough to set eyes on another guy when you have Niall James Horan from One Direction?” I asked, spilling everything out in one breath.

            “… Okay, continue.” Janelle laughed.

            I laughed too and continued, “Well, he’s weird. He’s like… interested in talking to me, but also reluctant at the same time. Like he wants to get to know me, but he still has a lot of secrets that he’s going to hide.”

            “Well, everyone’s going to hide their secrets…”

            I shook my head. “No, not like that. Like… he’s so open when he talks to me. But when I talk to him openly, he won’t tell me anything. How do you explain that?”

            “Huh. That IS kind of weird.” Janelle pursed her lips and proceeded to think. “I don’t know. Guys like this keep sending mixed signals. Maybe he’s just fooling around with you.”

            “Obviously,” I mumbled.