~Chapter 29: Do You Like Him?

            “Do you understand, Cordelia?” Niall asked.

            I sniffed, wiped my tears away, and nodded. We sat silently for a minute or two, just staring in each other’s eyes. “Oh,” I said, breaking the staring contest. I looked away shyly, biting my lip.

            Niall laughed and said, “There you go again.” I was grinning from ear to ear but tried to hide it. “Well! We should get back now.”

            “I thought we were out of fuel… I looked at the fuel tank meter.”

            “Well, actually…,” Niall started. He walked over to the controls. I followed. “Umm, there’s a backup tank installed…”

            “Excuse me?!” I asked. “So all this time, we could’ve gone back to land?! But you kept me here?!” I made the face that said ‘WHAT?!’ I set my mouth in a straight line and stormed back to the seats.

            “Aw, come on, babe. I just wanted to spend time with you alone. And I knew you would’ve protested to leave if you knew we could’ve, right?” Niall asked, walking back also.

            I turned away from him, pretending to be mad. “I’m not talking to you.”

            “Cordelia…” I felt Niall slip his arms around me and put his head over my shoulder. “Come onnnnn, Cordeliaaaaa…” I shook him off lightly, wanting to see what he’d do. “Don’t tell me you didn’t like spending time with me alone…,” Niall cooed into my ear.

            His breath tickled and I burst out laughing. I couldn’t hold it in anymore. “Oh my gosh, Niall,” I said, trying not to laugh. “You just needed to ask. You didn’t need to fake an empty tank.” I seriously could not stop laughing.

            Niall just stared at me blankly. Then, he started laughing too. “Alright, I’ll keep that in mind.” He sat down next to me and the boat started to cruise back in the direction we came from.

            We held hands and stayed silent during the ride. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the light summer breeze and warmth on my face, slowly falling asleep.

~~~~

            I heard indistinct talking and music. I slowly opened my eyes. I was in Adriana’s room, on the couch. “What…,” I said, sitting up. “How did I get here…?”

            “She’s awake!” Adriana said, scurrying over to me.

            “Hi,” I said quietly.

            “How was your day out?” she asked, smirking at me.

            “Fine,” I answered plaintively.

            “Did you do anything special? Where’d you guys go? What’d you guys do?” Adriana fired questions at me. I realised Niall wasn’t in the room.

            I scratched my head and stood up. “We went on a boat ride.” I ran my fingers through my long, blonde hair, trying to untangle it. My hair was thick and naturally straight, so it was easier.

            “Aww, how romantic!” Adriana said, laughing. “That’s sooooo cute.”

            Harry, Liam, Zayn, and Louis all sat down across and next to me. “So, how’s our little Niall? Do you like him?” Zayn asked me.

            I shrugged. “He’s alright.”

            “I heard you guys made mouth-to-mouth contact a few times,” Louis said, laughing. He stuck out his tongue and waved it around in the air.

            “Haha,” I said sarcastically. “Very funny.”

            “Well, did you? How come we haven’t seen this yet?” Harry asked.

            I smiled and looked at the ground. “Well… Niall likes to keep these things private…” I blushed.

            “You DO like him!” Liam exclaimed. “Don’t lie, Cordelia, we all see it!”

            I felt the heat rise to my face as my head shot up. “Wh-what?! You’re crazy! I totally don’t!” I said, trying to cover it up. “Anyways, where’s Niall?” I asked, changing the subject.

            “Taking a shower,” Adriana said, leaning over the sofa to look at me. “He got all sweaty while he was out. For some reason.” Everyone laughed, but I was too busy blushing to join in.

            “We just… talked,” I lied. “That’s all. We didn’t do anything like that.”

            “He likes you, Cordelia,” Louis said. “Anyone can tell that.”

            “She knows already,” Adriana hissed.

            “Guys, guys. I know Niall likes me,” I said.

            “Yeah, but the question is, do you like him?” Zayn asked, leaning forward.

            “I…” Then, at that precise moment, Niall walked in the door.