~Chapter 54: Goodbye For Now

            Just as the thought hit me, Niall called up, “Cordelia! You come down here RIGHT NOW!”

            Anger fumed inside me as I stayed put. “You’re not my mother, Niall! Why don’t you come up HERE?!” I called back down.

            “CORDELIA, I MEAN RIGHT NOW!”

            “Jeez, Niall, I already know what you’re gonna say! HE’S A POLICE OFFICER FROM THE POLICE STATION!”

            I heard Niall storming up the stairs. “Seriously, Cordelia?! You serious?! And there I was in the studio, thinking about how I was wrong for shouting at you, but you go AGAIN right after we get into a fight?!”

            I tried to stay calm this time, even though it was difficult. “Niall, you don’t understand! Please, just hear me out--.”

            “No! I don’t want to hear you out right now! Let’s just talk about how I thought that you weren’t going to go right after I told you that I didn’t like you going!”

            My eyes turned angry. “You’re not the boss of me, Niall! You can’t tell me where I can’t go or what I can’t do! I am my own master and I decide for MYSELF what I want to do!”

            “Well, you’re my girlfriend and I’m your boyfriend! If you want to be in a relationship, you’ve got to give up some of your freedom to compromise this! How can I trust you if you make your own decisions like this?!”

            I was silent for a moment. “You can’t.”

            Niall’s eyes grew wide. I glared at him. This was the biggest fight I’d ever had with him. “Cordelia, stop being like this! You keep abandoning our relationship together to be fixing one of your own! All I’m asking is that you limit your visits to that police station! ALL YOU CARE ABOUT IS YOURSELF! YOU DON’T EVEN CARE ABOUT MY FEELINGS ANYMORE!”

            I stepped back, tears springing to my eyes again. Niall had never shouted at me that loud before. “I DO CARE ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS! I WENT TO THE STATION TO SETTLE THINGS SO I DIDN’T HAVE TO GO ANYMORE! BUT THEN I COME HOME AND ALL I GET IS SHOUTED AT BY YOU! YOU OBVIOUSLY DON’T APPRECIATE WHAT I DO FOR YOU!”

            “I DON’T APPRECIATE THE FACT THAT YOU KEEP GOING BEHIND MY BACK!”

            “I’M NOT ALWAYS GOING TO BE WAITING FOR YOU, NIALL! I HAVE MY LIFE TOO, AND I CAN’T JUST SIT HERE DOING NOTHING EVERY DAY, WAITING FOR YOUR NEXT DAY OFF!”

            I saw tears streaming down Niall’s face, as there were tears falling down mine. “All this time I’ve been with you, Cordelia, I was always waiting for you. I wait for the day to be over every SINGLE DAY so I can come home and see you. I’m trying REALLY HARD, for you, Cordelia. I really am. But if you don’t see that, and all you think of it is me, keeping you from living your life, maybe you should’ve thought of that before going on tour with me last summer.”

            I burst out sobbing. “Niall, it’s not like that! I don’t regret ever falling for you! I’m not saying you’re keeping me from living my life! I’m just saying that while you’re away, I’m also living and meeting new people and making new friends! You can’t stop me from that!”

            “WELL I’M NOT TRYING TO!” Niall cried. This was the first time I’ve ever seen him crying that hard. “I’M JUST UPSET THAT YOU’VE BEEN GOING CONSTANTLY, AND YET, YOU REFUSE TO TELL ME ABOUT YOUR TRIPS! You won’t tell me WHY you’re going, or who you’re going to see! HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME NOT TO BE CONCERNED?!”

            “You know what, Niall?! I’M DONE WITH YOU!” I stormed to our room and took out a suitcase. I started dumping all my clothes into it, sobbing at the same time. “I’LL COME BACK WHEN YOU’VE THOUGHT IT THROUGH!”

            “FINE, THEN! IF YOU THINK THAT RUNNING AWAY FROM ME WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM, THEN FINE! I DON’T NEED YOU!”

            I could actually feel my heart breaking from his words. I turned around and looked at him. The tears falling down his cheeks, his red eyes, his clenched teeth… I returned my glance to my suitcase as I closed it and stood up. “Maybe we just need a little break, Niall.” I rolled my suitcase out our bedroom door. “Goodbye for now.”