~Chapter 60: Don't Do This!

~Chapter 60: Don’t Do This!

            I woke up alone. Realising Niall did not come home last night, I got up and prepared to go to the hospital. I knew he was going to be there. I also made him lunch, since I knew he would not leave Maura’s side until she woke up. My heart broke, looking at the mess in our flat. “Niall…” I picked up the brand-new iPhone 5 I had and looked at the screen. It was shattered. The lock screen held a picture of Niall and me. Just then, I got a text from Janelle. “Wait… OH MY GOD, I LEFT HER AT THE HOSPITAL LAST NIGHT.” I opened the text in a hurry but read this: UGH, CORDELIA, YOU DROVE OFF AND LEFT ME LAST NIGHT! HOW COULD YOU, YOU’RE THE WORST FRIEND EVER. But it’s okay since Harry drove me home. He’s honestly so sweet, Cordelia! I rolled my eyes. “He sure is. He’s a lady’s man.” I continued reading. I think I like him… “Please, Janelle. Only a couple million girls out there do too.”

            And I think he likes me! Well, I hope. “WHAT?!” Since when was this?! Harry with Janelle?! How come I never noticed this?! “WHAT THE ACTUAL F--!” I immediately texted Janelle back: WHAT?! YOU’VE BEEN PUTTING THE MOVES ON HARRY?! AND I DIDN’T KNOW?! EXCUSE ME, MISS, I AM YOUR BEST FRIEND, SO YOU SHOULD’VE TOLD ME. I sent it, and I immediately got another text back. It said: Oh, calm down, Cordelia. I’ve only texted him since he left the studio for that interview! It’s not like we’re going out. Yet. “WHAT?!?!?!” I nearly dropped my phone. “YET?!” GOD, JANELLE, I replied, calling her.

            She picked up. “CORDELIAAAAAAAAAAA!”

            “SERIOUSLY?!” I screeched into the phone.

            “What, you don’t like us together?” she asked.

            I sighed. “No, no. It’s just.” I paused. “SO WHEN’S THE DATE?! I SWEAR, HE’LL ASK YOU OUT IN THE MOST SWEETEST WAY POSSIBLE, JANELLE, SO DON’T DIE OKAY?!”

            “NOW THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKIN’ ‘BOUT!” We talked for a little while about Harry, but then I told her I was going to the hospital to check on Niall.

~~~~

            I made my way to Maura’s room and peered inside. Niall was asleep there. I opened the door and his eyes shot open, making their way to me. I took a deep breath and shut the door. It was awkward. “Hi,” I murmured.

            Niall didn’t respond and looked away from me. I put down the lunch I made for him and sat across from him, wanting to reach out to him. To hug him and cry. But I couldn’t. “Listen, Cordelia.” I looked up at Niall. “Recently, times have been hard. We’ve been through a lot, I know. But I think… we need a break.” He looked up at me, tears in his eyes.

            “Niall, please, don’t do this. I’m sorry, Niall. I’m sorry for everything.” I grabbed his hands, tears streaming down my face. “Don’t do this, babe, please. I love you, Niall. You can’t leave. Please don’t! Don’t do this!” I begged. “Please, at least think about it!” I sobbed.

            Niall turned away, and wiped his tears away. “I’ve already thought about it, Cordelia! This isn’t about ‘us’ anymore! My mother is lying on this bed, and who knows how long she’ll be unconscious! I just don’t know what else to do. I’m sorry.”

            “Please, Niall. Just think about it for a few more days.” My voice was nearly down to a whisper. “We can’t just leave after Maura just met me. Can we? She’d be heartbroken.”

            I could see it was difficult for Niall to let go as well. I threw my arms around him, hugging him, but he didn’t hug back. He was upset, and life had been tough on him lately. Everything had been tough on him lately. “Alright, Cordelia.” I exhaled, crying, and let go of him. “Cordelia, y-you should… go. Before I change my mind.”

            I took one more look at him and left the room. “I’m so sorry, Niall. So, so, so, so, so, so, sorry.”