~Chapter 44: Proper Manners

            The next day, I woke up, took a shower, brushed my teeth, did my hair, did my makeup and tried to look my best. “I’m so nervous, babe. I don’t know what to do. What if she doesn’t approve of me? What if she doesn’t like me? She’ll get mad at me for taking her most precious angel. Your family will hate me FOREVER!” I said, pacing around nervously.

            “Hey, hey, Cordelia, CALM DOWN. You’re gonna be just fine. Just speak to her.”

            “I WILL speak to her! I just don’t know if she’ll… listen… to me.” I put down my hairbrush and sighed.

            Niall put his arm around me. “Hey, it’s gonna be alright. It’s not the end of the world.”

            “It is for me if I lose you.” I looked at Niall in the eyes as he caught my gaze. He leaned forward and kissed me sweetly.

            “You won’t lose me even if my mum doesn’t approve.”

            I smiled and squeezed Niall’s hand. “Why are you so perfect?”

~~~~

            I took a deep breath and got out of the car. Niall took my hand in his and knocked on the door. I heard screams of excitement and feet pounding on the ground. I shifted my feet uncomfortably and tightened my grip on Niall’s hand. The door opened and Maura stood there. “Niall! My baby!” she cried, throwing her arms around Niall. She pulled away. “I’ve missed you so much.” She kissed him as I waited. She looked at me. “Who are you?”

            “Oh, mum, this is my girlfriend, Cordelia Delphina Sanders. I met her two summers ago. She’s real sweet. My summer love.” Niall smiled at me as I smiled at Maura.

            “Hi, nice to meet you.”

            “Yes, nice to meet you too…,” Maura said. She smiled lightly at me, but looked at Niall.

            I caught their eye contact, and she did not seem comfortable. Don’t give up yet, Cordelia.

~~~~

            “Time to eat!” I heard Maura call. I rushed to the kitchen to help, but I crashed into Niall’s brother, Greg.

            “Sorry,” I apologised. “I’m very clumsy today.”

            “It’s alright,” he said, smiling. “Niall seems to like girls like that.”

            I smiled back at his attempt to comfort me. I walked past him into the kitchen. Just then, Maura stopped me. “Where are you going, Cordelia? We’re eating here.”

            “Oh, I’m sorry,” I quickly said. I was terrible with proper manners. “I just wanted to help set the table.”

            “Well the table’s all been set already. So go on, sit down.” Maura led me to their dining room.

            I sat down awkwardly next to Niall and his mum. I looked over the food, wanting to eat everything. But I knew I couldn’t. So, I just took dainty bites, trying to look neat. “So, Niall, how’s your career coming along?” Greg asked, breaking the awkward silence.

            “Fine. Really enjoying it all,” Niall replied. “I got to meet Cordelia.”

            “How did you meet anyways?” Niall’s stepdad, Chris, asked.

            “At a friend’s house,” Niall answered.

            I nodded and smiled, looking up. “Yes, we met--.”

            “Don’t talk with your mouth full, dear,” Maura interrupted me.

            I bowed my head and silenced myself. NO ONE had ever talked to me that way before. I felt ashamed of myself. “Mum, it’s fine,” I heard Niall whisper to his mum.

            “Oh, shush, Niall, it’s proper manners.”

            Niall sat back in his seat and put his hand on my thigh, trying to assure me that everything was fine. I reached down and held his hand for a bit, then kept eating. “So, what do you like about my boy, Cordelia?” I heard Maura ask me. Afraid to talk with my mouth full again, I waited until I finished chewing to answer. “When you’re asked a question, answer, Cordelia.”