~Chapter 52: You Little Girl!

            I walked to the police station, cautious of my actions this time. I decided this would be my last visit here, since Niall didn’t like the fact that I came. I looked around for Cornelius to settle stuff with him. I walked up to the chief. “Ah, you’re here again. Looking for Cornelius, I suppose?” he asked, grinning at me.

            “Save it.” I slammed my hand down on his desk, a hundred percent serious. “Where is he?”

            The chief rolled his eyes. “In his office. Calm down, would you?” He eyed me weirdly.

            I ignored him and made my way to Cornelius’ office. I walked in without knocking. “You again?”

            “This is my last visit, Cornelius. I’m not coming again. Niall doesn’t like the fact that I’m coming, so I’m just going to ask you a few questions and leave. You’re going to answer them TRUTHFULLY, got it?” I sat down in front of him and crossed my arms silently, sassily not giving him a choice. We were quiet for a moment.

            “Fine,” he finally answered, knowing it was no use to argue with me. “What are your questions?”

            I smirked. “First question. Do you have any siblings? Step siblings? Half siblings? Anyone?”

            I saw him tense up. “… This is personal stuff. I’m not going to answer.”

            I glared at him. “You already promised you’d answer. Asking if you have siblings is not a personal question, Cornelius.”

            “I don’t have any siblings that I know of,” he finally growled back at me.

            I stood up. “Aha! ‘That I know of.’ What is that supposed to mean?”

            “That, my friend,” he put his head in his hands, “is none of your business.”

            We glared at each other. “Very well.” I sat back down. “Second question. Do you have a mother?”

            He shook his head without saying a word. “Why do you keep asking about my family?”

            “I’M asking the questions here,” I snapped.

            Cornelius slammed his fist down on the table. “This is outrageous! Why should I let you boss me around, little--!” He stopped himself. “You little girl!”

            I turned and stared at him, my eyes wide. “What were you going to say?” I asked.

            “Little girl. I said ‘little girl.’”

            “No. Before that. You stopped yourself. What were you going to say?”

            “I was going to call you a name, but I stopped myself.”

            Cornelius was all of a sudden Mr. Nice Guy? I don’t think so. “You? Stopped yourself from calling me a name? Cornelius, I may not have known you long, but I can tell you this. You’re NOT the kind of person to stop yourself from calling someone a name. Especially when you’re mad. You weren’t going to call me a name, were you?” I asked, clenching my teeth and leaning towards him, trying to look menacing.

            I could see tension in his eyes, but he kept his gaze locked with mine. Finally, he looked away. “You think you can just march in and pry into my secrets? Who do you think you are?” Cornelius growled at me.

            “You said you would answer! Don’t you forget!” I shouted at him.

            He struggled to reply something, but then sat back down and buried his face in his hands. “Fine. Carry on. What’s your next question?”

            I sighed. “This is my last question.” He looked up at me, waiting. “How did your mother die?”