~Chapter 45: Love Hour

            I started to tense up as I hurriedly replied, “He’s there for me when everyone else isn’t. He’s special and he treats me better than anyone else ever has. I love his jokes and his smile. I love every little thing about him.”

            Maura nodded silently. “And what do you like about Cordelia, Niall?”

            “I feel like she really understands me, mum. Like she’s really the one for me. I actually feel like this time, it’s for real. I really feel for her. She’s nice, caring, sweet, and she knows how to let go.” Niall took my hand in his. “She knows how to stay strong.”

            I watched Maura nod slowly. “I see… Well, then I guess I’ll give her a chance.”

            “Chance?” Niall and I both asked.

            Maura turned to me. “My boy is very precious to me. Yes, he may be almost an adult now, but he’ll always be my little Niall. I have one boy married and out of the house already, so I’m savouring Niall’s last few years. You’re not his first. And I’m doubtful you’ll be his last. But I hope you are. I want to get to know you better before I’m completely okay with this. Alright?”      

            I nodded. “Yes, of course.”

            She finally smiled at me and asked, “Will you go shopping with me this afternoon? Alone?”

            I looked at Niall, who nodded. I turned back to Maura. “Definitely.”

~~~~

            After lunch with Niall’s family, we drove home where I got ready to go shopping with Maura. I got my bag off of the living room sofa and kissed Niall goodbye. “I need to go to a band meeting with the boys anyway. I’ll meet you back home at in three hours, and we’ll go have dinner.”

            “Alright, babe.” I took my car keys out and opened the front door.

            “I love you, Cordelia.”

            “I love you too, Niall.”

~~~~

            I walked around the streets of Ireland with Maura. “So tell me, dear. Why did you choose Niall?”

            “What do you mean?” I asked, nervous that Niall wasn’t around.

            “I mean, sweetie, that how come you chose Niall out of all the other boys he’s with?” Maura asked.

            “Well, I don’t know actually. He’s the one that understood me and opened up to me first. I really like him.” I smiled at Niall’s mum.

            She smiled back at me. “He’s been searching for a very long time to find his girl. I certainly hope you’re the one to always be there for him. Even though you’re still young.”

            I nodded quietly, acknowledging the fact that Maura was starting to open up to me. “I hope so too.”

            “Did you know that when he was young, all his friends had girlfriends? He was so lonely that he even asked me to date him!” Maura said, laughing.

            I laughed at the thought of it. “Isn’t that just sweet?”

           Maura nodded as we continued walking. Just then, I saw Janelle. She walked up to me. “Hi, Cordelia!” Then, she took a look at Maura. “Oh, you must be Niall’s mum! I’m a friend of Cordelia. Nice to meet you.”

            “Nice to meet you indeed,” Maura greeted, smiling.

            Janelle smiled back, then turned to me. “Hey, Cordelia. I was just wondering, you know that time when Niall fainted in public? It was because his health was so low, since they were on tour, right?”

            I nodded. “Yeah, that boy didn’t eat at all. It wasn’t like him at ALL.”

            Completely forgetting about Maura’s presence, Janelle said, “Yeah, that little idiot.” She laughed as I heard some people call my name and ask me to take pictures with them.

            As I walked over and took pictures, I heard Maura ask Janelle, “Fainted in public? Idiot?”

            Janelle responded, “Oh, sorry, ma’am. I was talking about putting that story for the love hour on the radio. Did you know that Niall almost had to be sent to the hospital because his health was so low? But Cordelia was there to keep him healthy by making him eat. She saved him. If it wasn’t for her, he’d probably have been in serious condition…” And then I didn’t hear the rest.

            After satisfying all the fans, I walked back to Janelle and Maura. “Oh, Cordelia. So can I use the story for the love hour on the radio?”

            “Of course, Janelle!” I answered.

            “Thanks! Well, I’ll be off then. See you guys around!” Janelle waved goodbye and walked off.

            I waved as she disappeared in the crowd. I caught Maura staring at me. “What?” I asked. “What is it?”

            She studied me with a blank face. “Oh! Nothing.”

            “Okay…” I watched her as we continued walking.