~Chapter 24: Stay With Me

            “Ohhhhh,” I replied. “Alone.” I laughed then looked at Niall. “What, you’re serious?”

            Niall looked at me, his face straight. “I want to take you somewhere where it can be just us two.” He started the car and drove to the beach.

            “How come there’s nobody here?” I asked. “It’s summer. I thought people loved going to the beach.”

            “The boys and I rented this beach for us today.” Niall smiled. “It’s all ours.”

            I smiled. “That’s wonderful. Thank you, Niall.”

            “I have something to confess to you,” Niall replied, parking the car.

            “Oh… okay.” I got out of the car at the same time as Niall, meeting his gaze perfectly.

            He walked over to me, took my hand, and led me to the water. There were boats along the nearby dock. “Want to ride one?” he asked, motioning to them.

            I smiled. “You’re not afraid of getting seasick?”

            Niall shook his head. “Not when you’re with me.”

            I nodded. “Okay!”

            Niall walked over to the dock and rented an exquisite boat. I stepped onto it, breathing in the sea air. He followed after me and started the motor. I sat down on the cushioned seat, waiting for Niall to say something. “I’m putting it on auto mode,” Niall said, smiling. I waited as he set some controls and came back to sit down next to me.

            I sighed and looked into his eyes as the boat cruised forward. “What was it you needed to confess to me?” I asked.

            Niall scratched his head, blushing. He took my hand and pulled me closer to him. “Cordelia, I know I’ve only met you a few days ago… But I feel like if you ever leave my side, everything I do will be pointless. And since I’m going on tour in a few days, I won’t be able to see you for months on end. And I don’t think I can bear that.” His eyes looked into mine and glistened.

            “But of course you have a point in everything you do!” I responded. “You make music for all those depressed girls out there like me. You help them. And not just anyone can do that.” I held his hand tighter.

            Niall smiled, but only slightly. “I know, Cordelia… But I always want you next to me, if not, then at least near me. If I can’t just lean over to you and hear your heartbeat, you’re already too far away from me. Please, stay with me. Go on tour with me.”

            “Go on tour with you?” I repeated. “I can’t, Niall… I can’t. That’s too much pressure to handle… Too many fans… No freedom…” I looked away from him. “I’m uncomfortable around a lot of people.”

            “I know, Cordelia. But just think about it.” Niall pulled my face close to his. “You’ll always be with me, and I’ll always protect you. At least think about it. You’ll have a real place with someone, somewhere. Home is not where your stuff is, but where your heart rests.” Niall put his hand over my heart. “Where does YOUR heart rest?”

            I exhaled. We both knew the answer, but neither of us was going to say it. I finally breathed the words out. “With you.”

            Niall hugged me and we stayed in that position for what seemed like an eternity. The boat was still cruising at a steady pace. “And here’s my confession, Cordelia.” He pulled away. “I… Well, remember how I said I really liked you?”

            I nodded. “How could I forget?”

            “Well, I… I’m not sure if this is correct or not… but… I think I don’t like you anymore…”