~Chapter 22: I Won't Leave You

            “Where are you, Niall?” Not only was it pitch-black, it was also deadly silent.

            My back faced the balcony door as I heard something creak. My heart was pounding so hard, I could feel it. “Cordelia?” I heard somebody say.

            I screamed, turning around. “Oh my god, Niall!” I said, sighing of relief. “There you are. I was wondering why you weren’t in your bed.”

            He had opened the balcony door. “I was out here. I… couldn’t sleep.” He ran his fingers through his hair, which was blowing in the night air.

            “Me neither,” I confessed. I felt embarrassed, being in his room. “Sorry I came in without knocking.”

            He smiled and walked back out to the balcony. “It’s okay.” Niall turned around and looked at me. “Come on out. It’s warm.”

            I looked at myself, in my tanktop and shorts. Then, I looked at him. I felt myself blush as I studied the dimples in his back. Why didn’t I ever feel interested in him when we first met? I thought. I walked out onto the balcony, standing next to Niall. “I had a dream… about my mum.”

            “I had a dream too. What about your mum?” Niall asked, his concern in every word.

            I leaned onto the balcony, looking out into the starlit night in the distance. “She came to me… And told me to move on… To… let go of my past and end my own suffering.” I looked down at my cuts and started to take the bandages off. Niall was silent. He was watching me. I could tell we both noticed that the cuts had healed.

            “And to find somebody else,” Niall finally replied quietly. “You can’t live on alone forever, Cordelia.” He looked at me. “You always say you want to be alone. You want to be left alone and you don’t care about anything or anyone. But I know, deep down somewhere, you really do care. You care and you want somebody to care too. You NEED somebody to care, but you’re just afraid to get hurt.” I lowered my eyes from his gaze and turned back to the sky, not knowing what to reply. “You’re a strong girl, Cordelia. You just put yourself down. You need to look at all those people who have hurt you, abused you, scarred you, and put you down… you need to look at all those people and tell them, ‘You’re wrong.’ Because they are.” Niall held my shoulders and made me look into his eyes, which were glistening in the moonlight. “You’re beautiful. And if you don’t feel it, start feeling it. Because it’s true.

            I looked at him, my eyes wide. I slowly reached up my hand and touched his face. He smiled and I said, “You’re really something else, Niall James Horan.” I hugged him, pressing my forehead to his chest. “If I really have to give my trust to somebody, I’m grateful if it’s you.”

            Niall hugged me back and we stood in that position for a little bit. “I dreamt about you,” Niall suddenly said. “You were… looking for me. I reached out for you, but you didn’t respond to me. You just kept calling my name over and over again, but you couldn’t hear me talk to you. When I tried to grab your hand, my fingers passed right through yours.” I looked up at him, astonished. With his arms still around me, he continued, “It was terrible. I felt like I left you all alone.” Niall buried his face in my neck and whispered, “I’ll never leave you. Even if you tell me to, even if you leave me first, you’ll always be with me.” He pulled away and pressed my hand over his heart. “You’ll always be in my heart.”

            I wanted to cry like a little five-year-old, but I held my tears back. I’ll always be in your heart. My mother’s words in my dream rang in my head. “Even though I’ve only known you for a few days, I always feel like I owe you because you’re always there for me and you always make my day better. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to make it up to you, because I’ve never known anybody like you.”

            Niall wrapped me in his arms and warmth, saying, “You don’t need to make up anything. Your happiness is my reward.”

            “Don’t ever leave me, Niall. I never want you to leave me,” I finally cried into his shoulder.

            “I won’t leave you, Cordelia. I promise.”

(NOTE: All the words I bolded are for you. From now on, just know that every word I bold is a message to you guys. xx)