~Chapter 14: I Need to Tell You Something

            I was breathing really hard. I watched as Niall threw him against the wall, holding him by his shirt collar. “Who are you, boy?! Who do you think you are?! What are you doing here?! I’ll call the cops on you! Get out of my house!” Dylan shouted, throwing random punches.

            Niall dodged all of them and pinned Dylan’s arms to the wall. Niall raised his fist to give Dylan a beating. I watched in horror as they fought on and on. I was in such shock, I couldn’t do anything. “N-Niall! Stop! STOP!” I screamed. I pulled his arms off of Dylan. He was breathing really hard. I sobbed, grabbing onto him. “Stop…!” Niall suddenly stopped. “That’s… enough.”

            Niall looked at me, then at Dylan. He stood up and left the room. I looked at Dylan, who was unconscious. I decided to leave the house. I threw together all my stuff in a luggage and ran after Niall. It didn’t take that long. I didn’t own many things in the house. I made my way outside.

            Niall turned around and watched me with a straight face. “What are you doing?” he asked.

            “Leaving,” I replied. “I never want to see this place again.” I walked over to my car.

            “Where will you go?” Niall asked. He laughed sarcastically. “You don’t have anywhere else to go.”

            I looked at him. He… changed. All of a sudden, he’s a different person, I thought. I made my way over to him. “Niall…? Are you feeling okay?”

            His eyes seemed dull. He seemed to be caught in a trance. I waved my hand around his face and he seemed to snap out of it. “Cordelia! I’m so sorry, I didn’t know what came over me! I just--! I couldn’t have just--! I’m sorry I--!” Niall struggled to explain.

            I waited for him to finish. “It’s fine,” I answered. “It’s over.” I walked back to my car. “I’m done,” I added under my breath.

            “No, wait! Where are you going now? You can’t just leave!” Niall insisted.

            “What’s it to you what I do?” I asked, opening my car door and putting my luggage inside.

            “I just worry. That’s all.”

            I looked at him over my shoulder. “You worry? What does that mean?” I asked. I shut the car door and looked at him from across the lawn.

            “It means… I always need to know if you’re okay. I need to make sure nothing bad happens to you.”

            “Why?” I asked. That always seemed to be the ultimate question. “Why do you need to know?” I stared at him, waiting for an answer.

            He opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. “I…”

            I sighed, then got into my car. “You don’t need to know. You don’t need to worry,” I said, loud enough for him to hear. “It’ll just burden you,” I said quietly. “Like for everyone else.”

            “But it’s a burden I’m willing to bear.”

            I stopped the car door half way. His words shot through me, imprinting something. I slowly looked up. Niall had made his way across the lawn to me. “Why do you care about me so much?” I asked quietly.

            Niall shrugged. “It just comes naturally. You don’t really decide for yourself how you feel about others. Your heart decides for you, but if you don’t open up, you’re not going to be able to feel the right way.”

            I was confused. “How do you know when you’re feeling the right way?” I asked.

            Niall shook his head. “Nobody knows. It all depends on you.”

            I stared at him, blinking. “How… how do you know that worrying about me is feeling the right way?” I asked in a high-pitch voice.

            “I don’t know. My mind can’t tell me anything, but when I see people hurt you, something takes over me. I want to protect you with all I can because I want to protect those who are important to me. And you, Cordelia…,” Niall held my face with both of his hands, “are one of the most important people to me.”

            Suddenly, everything around us became a blur. I was so lost in his face, nothing around me mattered. What is this feeling called? I wondered. I’ve… never felt this way before… Niall’s touch was so gentle, I didn’t want him to take his hands off me. At the same time, I could feel heat rising to my face. Blush. I’m blushing again. I stared into Niall’s eyes, which seemed to mesmorise me. He suddenly leaned forward and hugged me to his chest. I gasped. “Niall!”

            Niall hugged me tightly. I didn’t know what to do with my arms. Do I wrap them around his waist? His neck? Niall could tell I was hesitating, so he pulled away. “Let’s go to the park,” he replied.

            “Huh? The park? Why?”

            “Because I need to tell you something…”