~Chapter 66: I'm Sorry

~Chapter 66: I’m Sorry

            I woke up the next morning feeling worried and nervous. “Tomorrow’s the day…” I mustered up my courage, got ready to see Niall, and drove to the hospital.

~~~~

            Niall was in Maura’s room, silent and pale. I walked over to him, my heart pounding like the first time he held my hand. “Niall?”

            “Hi, babe.”

            I was surprised he still called me ‘babe.’ “I’m sorry.”

            “It’s not your fault.”

            “No, it really is, and I’m sorry.” I sat down next to him and held his hand. They were cold. “Can we go spend some time together and patch things up?”

            Niall sighed and nodded his head. “Let’s go.”

            I smiled lightly at him and lowered my eyes. Being the one to hold his hand tighter this time, I led him to my car. I was about to get in the driver’s seat, but he stopped me and had me get in the passenger seat instead.

~~~~

            We drove the private side of the shoreline. I sat down on a rock next to Niall. I linked my fingers in his and breathed in the sea air. “Do you remember when we went on that boat ride together?”

            Niall smiled lightly. “Yeah. That day I taught you to play the guitar.” He lowered his eyes and looked at the sand. I knew he was replaying that moment in his mind, as I was too.

~Flashback~

                              I scooted onto his lap and took the guitar. Niall put his arms around me on the guitar, his hands on mine. “This looks difficult,” I said.

            “It’s not really,” Niall replied softly. I could feel his breath on my neck, sending little chills down my back. I laughed nervously.

            “I feel awkward,” I confessed.

            “It’s only awkward if you make it awkward.” Once again. Chills down my back. “Now, if you just put your fingers here…”

~Flashback End~

            I squeezed his hand, trying not to cry also. “I’m so sorry, babe.”

            Niall was silent as he stared at my hand, holding it. “It’s alright, darling.”

            I shook my head. “Please forgive me, Niall.”

            When Niall didn’t respond, I looked up at him. His eyes were red and it looked like he was holding back his tears with all his willpower. They rolled down his face anyway.

          I reached up and wiped them away. I kissed him. “Do you want to do something we did when we first met?” Niall nodded. “Can you take us to the forest?” I asked. “Oh, wait. Are you free--.”

            “I’m free, babe.” Niall led me back to the car and drove to the forest. “What did you want to see here?”

            This time, I was the one who held his hand and brought him into the forest. As I reached up my hand to the tree, I knew Niall was having the same memory flashback in his mind.

~Flashback~

            I stood there as I watched Niall walk up to a tree. As I looked at the tree more, I realised it was orange. “Huh?” I mumbled. He touched the tree and walked to the next one and did the same thing. And the next and the next and the next. Soon, the trees started moving and there were a lot of butterflies. I gasped, laughing. Niall ran back up to me and led me out of the clearing to get a better view. “This is… amazing,” I breathed.

            Niall put his hands around me. “That’s how you make my stomach feel,” he whispered in my ear.

~Flashback End~

            The butterflies flew around us in a swirling motion as I struggled to hold my tears in. There I was, returning the happiness he had lent me. I looked at Niall, who was watching the butterflies. “Cordelia…”

            I caught Niall’s gaze and walked up to him, pressing my lips against his. “I’m sorry, Niall.”

            Niall lowered his head. “Do you think… we need a break?”

            I closed my eyes, tears piling up against my eyelids. But I held them back and opened my eyes. Niall was crying already, but I stood firm. “I think… that’s for the best right now.”

            “I’m sorry, Cordelia.”

            “No, Niall. I’M sorry.”