~Chapter 10: I Hate You

            I pulled away, stunned. Everything became foreign to me. I didn’t know how to react, what to say, or what to do. I just looked at him. “Umm, excuse me,” I said, getting up from the bench. “I have to go.” I watched Niall bury his face in his hands from over my shoulder as I ran off. I’m not ready for this, I thought. I suddenly felt terrible for leaving him like that. What’s happening to me? I thought. You never feel terrible for people but yourself. It’s not that I didn’t like the kiss, it was that I wasn’t ready for a big step like that. Niall DOES like me. Adriana wasn’t kidding.

~~~~

            I spent the rest of the night avoiding Niall. And he obviously didn’t know how to talk to me again. It was quiet during dinner, quiet after dinner, and quiet before bed. “Goodnight,” I mumbled for everyone to hear after getting ready for bed. Everyone mumbled back unanimously. Everyone except Niall.

            I got changed into my pajamas and got into my bed. I lied there for a little bit, but I figured out I couldn’t fall asleep. So I got up and walked out onto the little balcony outside the window. I closed my eyes and felt the light breeze on my face. I let a tear work its way down my face. “Mummy, I just want you back. I want you back, Mummy. No one understands me, and I don’t understand anyone. This is so difficult. Why can’t you just be here to teach me?” I cried. “I just want somebody like me. I just someone who feels like me, who is just the way I am. I just want someone to accept me. Is that so difficult?” I looked out into the starlit night. I sighed.

            “It’s practically impossible to find anyone like you.”

          I jumped a little and turned around. “Niall! Why are you in my room?! What are you doing here, you creep?!” I tried to push him out of my room, but it was hard since I didn’t want to touch him because he was shirtless. He stood his ground.

            “I’m not leaving this time, and neither are you,” he replied.

            I started breathing really hard, sweating. “What-what are you going to do?” I asked, backing away slowly.

            Niall walked forward and pinned me against the wall. I stared at him, my eyes growing wider by the second. “I’m going to… talk to you.” He let go of me and backed away a little.

            I stared at him, confused. “About what?” I asked. I had the butterflies-in-my-stomach feeling again.

            “You.” Niall looked at me, his eyes narrowing. “I heard everything you said. And you have a strong personality. You want somebody just like you, but, trust me, you wouldn’t want that. You wouldn’t want to be with someone with the same personality as you. You’d just argue with that person all day.”

            I glared at him, my anger growing. “How dare you say that to me!” I said. I started to lose my temper. “You don’t know me well enough to judge who I am. You don’t know me well enough to tell me what I should do. You don’t know me at all.” I closed my hands into fists and stood glaring at him. “I hate you, Niall, and don’t get any ideas. All you want to do is use me. That’s all anyone has ever wanted to do to me.” I started to weaken down. The memories of being abused flooded my mind again. “That’s all anyone has ever done to me…”

            Niall walked over to me and threw me down on the bed. “Why do you hate me?” he demanded. He pinned me down as I glared at him even more.

            “Because you’re a creep! You’re demanding and you’re rude! I don’t know you at all, and yet, here you are, trying to possess me,” I blurted out.

            Niall climbed onto the bed, holding me down even more. “If you’re going to continue treating people who care like this, nobody’s ever going to accept you,” he hissed into my ear.

            “UGH, YOU DISGUST ME!” I said. I tried to punch him, but I was crying, so I missed. I felt him grab my arm. “STOP IT! STOP--!”

            Niall cut me off by pressing his lips against mine. “Shush, Cordelia. Why can’t you just listen?” he cooed softly through the kiss.