Chapter Nineteen

Scarlett Louviere

I was out after class one day hoping to get away from my party hungry sorority for the first time in a month.

There was a place that I wanted to go, somewhere that reminded me of better times out of my mind. I needed someone to listen without making any comment.

The unfortunate part is the person I want to go to likely would never actually hear a word I'd like to say, I wanted to feel that love again but I wasn't going to get it after my mistake.

With each passing day I felt less like the girl who had attended Thornbrook just a year ago. I was headstrong and confident back then. I could stand against every one and never let a single person hurt me. The problem was I hurt myself by imagining the pain. But this was worse.

You've been sniveling for a week calm down.

That's the problem, I'm a shell. I had the same traits I wouldn't let anyone harm me I just didn't know who I was protecting anymore when the pain I felt was internally caused.

Nathan was with another girl now, and if he wasn't dating her it wouldn't be long until they were an item.

I'd found the Instagram account of Arilynn Hamilton, though really I still followed Nathan's sisters and they both followed her. She'd posted a story of the two of them out together at a café, then out on a night walk and finally at what I assume is Nathan's frat housing with the rest of the boys. Arilynn and the boy I loved but had let go putting face masks on together and watching a show, his arms wrapped around her waist. They looked cute together, I could see it on their faces.

Adrian's words came back to me and I exhaled as I thought about them each syllable. Nathan would either be mine or I'd lose him. I'd pushed him away, I'd hurt him, and then when in a drunken haze, without conscious decisions I texted him only to find out that he had moved on. I wasn't forgotten but I was no longer a piece of his life.

Eventually I had left the limits of New Haven and had began driving towards the border. I'd go to Stratsford to Derek but I didn't feel like involving someone else who had only just met me for my own issues. I needed someone who I could trust.

I need my childhood best friend.

Picking up my phone I found her number and called her.

A few seconds later she answered.

"Scarlett" Yana says.

"Yana" I exhale, "I need a favour and I'm sorry to bring it on you but would you mind driving to meet me half way between New Haven and Boston. New Cedars Café in Sturbridge, maybe".

"Sure, I can't promise I'll be fast, but I will probably get there around the same time as you" she says.

"Thank you, it means the world to me" I say smiling lightly.

"See you then" Yana says before the phone is hung up.

An hour later I pulled into the parking lot and feeling shockingly out of place.

I need a different car.

I then spotted Yana's CLS park a few stalls away from me and the curly haired Arab girl get out of the vehicle.

Crossing the parking lot dressed in mostly emerald green I remembered the other parts to why I had been friends with her.

When at Louis Lycée we'd been absolute hellions, and fires were common between the two of us that was of course until she was transferred to Winchester in London and I was left the sole queen of that French private school, without her best friend.