Chapter Fifty Six

Adrian Winters

How could I have been so stupid.

All the pieces were coming together and the longer I looked at them all, the more I wanted to do things that would put me behind bars until the day I was dead.

Files upon files of information on a scheme that had permeated every possible level of the social structure around me had all been on the close for the past decade, the only problem was that it was a failure every time someone tried to harm my family or those close to me. That wasn't how I was stupid though, it was how I had over looked such key pieces of information like wiretap trails, and money origins.

I'd created enemies sure, I'd made hundred of people mad that I had been left to stand atop the largest conglomerate that the world had ever seen since the East India Company in 1635. History had taught me nothing but records were meant to be broken, and the fact I had built what I did so quickly spoke to both the capabilities of how we thought at Winters Group but also at how efficient my wife and COO had been along side the team of Executive Directors and C-Class board members that answered to her and I.

The record that had been broken was how long an enemy had remained in my circle, until it was just about too late. I'd uncovered the plan a long time ago, and wanted to see what would happen if I tested my theory and just as I expected Carrick De'Vincent got from Paris where he refused to harm any of the Louviere family to New York where my daughter was targeted. I had to die and so did my wife or else Winters Group would remain able to be ran in family.

The details now were bare, I'd stopped the power grids claiming maintenance from a power surge so my enemy was taken down at least for a time. Neptune Cyber Security then as usual recycled the information into our own private servers that would after the fact have the SD cards fried and replaced so that we didn't have a multiple entrance server that anyone in WGI could access.

I never said anything about a one time.

I got what I needed and the maintenance was completed now I had what I needed. If I hadn't found anything I'd have cut the digital connection, and it would have just seemed like a server blip, instead I had found a fear confirmed and a small dent appeared in the shield that was my circle of friends, family, and relatives.

Collecting the files I put them into my briefcase, and walked out of the frosted glass meeting room in the NCS building in Tribeca before stepping into the elevator to return to my office where I could seethe in my own bubble of self control and analysis.

Getting down to the white marble lobby I pulled my grey blazer over my typical black turtleneck since I despised undershirts unless it was for events, then I put up with them.

Outside the glass lobby was a horde of news crews that would be awaiting my comments on various proceedings from the past week that had resulted in me taking over about a dozen small seemingly pointless asset management firms.

People resorted to chaos when they were backed into a corner, they acted like animals willing to fight to the death if it was required.

Except you can't fight if you have limited options to fight with.

One of the greatest things in the world, about being a shadow businessman that could be recognized but still remain a secret from public notoriety around wealth, was no one aside from the US government knew how much money my company brought in. No one was going to stop me from taking what I wanted from who.

Accepting I was the villian for this instance in time I put on my stoic expression and gestured to the door where two of my best PPO's stood with their longcoats wrapped around themselves, while their hands remained clasped in front of them.