Chapter Thirty

Nathanial Winters

I was slightly shocked that Scarlett didn't explode at me about the war that was being fought between our families, or that there was something that was unknown between her and Derek.

What was most shocking was that she didn't recognize his lastname as one of the families that was linked to the plot against the Winters Family.

There was probably more though.

My dad kept a lot to himself and I know my parents always wanted to keep us kids away from the chaos of their lives but as a result a lot of what really happened throughout their lives was kept quiet or completely unknown.

Currently I was just driving home to Arilynn who I know will have woken up by now though I bought something special for her. I wanted her to come home to my family over Christmas break so I thought it might be nice to see the kind of life we had and how there were good parts of being around the Winters Family.

We also got away with things that most people didn't bother trying but then again who ever was going to try and question most of our family especially when it came to the things we bought.

Gifts were definitely a minor competition.

There was a year when I was a kid where my dad purposely helped my uncle Nico buy a brand new McLaren for her birthday especially since at the time there was a money problem across the world at the time.

That had been kept a secret until one day Kate admitted she knew but wasn't mad because it proved the brotherhood between Nico and my dad.

It was probably slightly weird that me and Lucian were cousins but still we considered one another friends that were as close as brothers just like our fathers.

Pulling down the driveway I pulled to the garage and used the remote to open it before parking the Aston in its spot.

I would have to hand dry it now and if I left it I'd end up with water spots even though I had this car cleaned on the day before Arilynn and I arrived in Greenwich.

Walking inside I grabbed three large towels and walked out to begin drying off the car.

How long I was outside I didn't know but when I went back inside all three towels were damp and had dirt from me driving around. It felt sort of ironic how polished the expensive car was to have dirt on its paint.

I had spent too much time as a little kid being around the world my parents had created yet there was a lot of pain there. Yes we'd created an empire, yes we'd become the most influential and secretive yet powerful family in the United States of America but we all lived a life of status despite none of us giving a damn about it.

I'd read the novel American Psycho not that long ago and it made more sense especially since for the last three generations my family has grown up around it all.

Status was all people cared about and that book was a warning of how men were beginning to be when faced with problems in the world. We closed off and couldn't learn anything new about ourselves we knew money equivalated power, which equivalated influence, which equivalated to a better life but that was the problem.

No wonder my dad tried his best to distance work.

It was mildly crazy to know that my dad had practically spent his whole life securing the Winters name following his father before him in rebuilding it.

Our family was cursed to be alone and isolated with all our money and success. Our purpose wasn't to achieve status though it was to help people of the world and that was how we didn't go mad.