Chapter Thirty Eight

The room was bitter filled with anger and resentment. The walls caging it, trapping the two men like gladiators against lions on the colosseum. Just who was which I didn't know.

"You may be able to trick the public but you wanted this. You wanted me to be a public martyr. All this respect and power and you misuse it" Kennith says jabbing a finger through the space between him and the dark figure of my father.

It was like drowning in power and intensity. If fire could be a liquid this is what it be like swimming in it.

The look on my dad's face said it all too. Now his hands were still white knuckles but still allowing the scars on them to be seen. I knew how though. Fights lots of them, and defending my mom on the few occasions she couldn't herself.

"Don't you dare open your mouth and talk about misuse of power. You had my respect, and my trust for that matter. It was the fact you were my business partner and one of my friends; though clearly a mistake, that you left my office. I'm a lot worse. I was told to keep myself plain, and not do something I'd regret, but trust me I had no issues putting you in your place" my dad says icily, and I swear a fucking glacier was made by just those words.

"Your business doesn't deserve to collapse, and it's the fact I hope your daughter and wife keep their lives because both are wonderful people. I just wish that the man before me hadn't fallen so far from grace".

The statement would have stung most people, put them to tears or made them flee. But my dad meant every word at face value he had remorse for the Louviere family for the fact Kennith was the head of said family.

"Someone will tear your empire down Adrian. You might compare it to Rome, so I guess we see if anyone is willing to burn it in a day just like the capital".

"There is no Nero in my success Kennith. That happened decades ago when my father had to sacrifice and rebuild risking it all to have even a place in New York. Now I wonder what he'd say knowing his son resides his seat of economic industry in the building he didn't see completed. You should know better then anyone else Louviere that threats to my family or my company never end well".

"I watched from the sidelines while the world bowed at your feet. I hope you burn in hell but maybe you belong there" and with that Kennith steps to my father.

"You have dirty secrets too Winters, and sooner or later the pretty image you have won't be there anymore".

"I'm not low enough to be on your level. Leave now, or my security will influence your departure".

Kennith glared coldly at my father who outmatched it leading the shorter man to flee the room muttering profanities.

My dad then paced the room past the French paned window while stroking his beard while his jaw was clenched.

For a moment I debated entering the room but I decided against it before turning and walking away to the main hall where everything still remained in motion unaware of the battle of words and secrets exchanged in the back hall.

"Nathan" someone calls and I turn to find Arilynn talking to Vanessa my cousin who we all saw strong connection in appearance to my dad then Logan but genes weren't too far apart so anything could be possible.

"This girl seems to find me fascinating" Vanessa says cradling a glass of champagne.

"That's because you're my cousin Nessa, and that's my girlfriend. She's trying to make a good impression on the family" I say wrapping my arms around Arilynn's waist.

"You two look cute together, also you're the Hamilton's daughter right?" Vanessa probes and Arilynn nods in confirmation.

"They're coming three o'clock" Vanessa warns before smiling and making her long strided departure in her silver sequin dress.