Chapter Forty Nine

Scarlett Louviere

Walking through my home I minded my own business ignoring the argument downstairs that had been waging between my parents. They'd been like this almost every night that I'd been home in New York. Now I was just aimlessly seeking the farthest place from their screaming.

It was all coming apart, my life had been piece by pieces slipping apart, Derek had been comforting, and I knew that he was trying to be as much of a support as he could, and I was beyond grateful for it. He knew when I needed him to be my boyfriend, and when I needed to have just a friend. He'd also said he wished he could drive to come see me but I knew that wasn't an option especially since his parents had been comforting though at a distance.

Whatever had been going on with the Winters and my parents though if I had to guess it was my dad who was at blame. There was some plan, or plot that was going to pull me apart, tear piece by piece from me and give me what was left by a broken family.

I could think of all the instances where that could have been different. Nathan had done similar things to try and deal with the weight of having an influential family, I'd taken a different kind of lesson in the aftermath, and in my effort to move on.

The Winters Family was both a powerhouse and a target, and my perception had changed, I didn't fear them I had feared what association would bring and I couldn't manage to do it. I also had an immediate show of a major incident that had been going on for years. I just wanted to reconcile that because if a completely business war does begin four of five of the largest business empires hosted in New York will turn against my family in a heartbeat.

At least my dad will have to face all of them.

I'd been trying to put it together why all of a sudden the Winters Family turned from Louviere Financial and then almost immediately after people start selling out, and then once Adrian gave an answer outside his office did the stock finally level off. My parents also had once again kept me in silence from knowing the truth.

Stopping in my room many of the decorations that I liked now in my dorm room with the girls. All that was left was the few pictures of me and the people I knew as children along with one from so long ago I had hidden it by accident. It was all of the friends I had last year, the boys in a curve along with Chloe, Izzy, and Abigail along with me standing there in front of Nathan back when all of us were roughly the same size. When we were children and the world lighting on fire wasn't what we were faced with. 

But instead a long chain of events has led to today, and I regret some of the choices I made, I wish I hadn't walked out of Nathan's life. Not because I was jealous of Arilynn, I actually thought they looked good together, and I could tell that she made him happy.

Nathan warned me of Derek not being who I thought he was and I didn't know what to say to that, he'd sent me the encrypted file that once I opened would disappear afterwards.

The wonders of him owning a software company.

I'd also began to hear the various rumours about him having taken over about a dozen more companies, and expanding to Europe, all of which made me wonder just how long it would be before he had the same reach as his parents all without their influence. New articles were flooding in about the heir to WGI and I had read one or two just to see how they would portray him. Mostly what I got was pictures of Nathan dressed sharply in tailor made suits with sunglasses on in one, and a golfing outfit in another both proclaiming the deals he'd secured both sizable.

Turning away from the photo on my wall I looked out the window at the rest of Meadow Lane and the compound where the Winters were no longer residing for the past two weeks, there was only a week left until January was over and it was back to school.