Chapter Sixty

Arilynn Hamilton

It had been a few weeks since the end of March and I had to fly out to Seattle in few days which I was excited for. The only thing that had been slightly weighing it down was that I'd actually gotten to see what the result of this war between Adrian and the Louviere family was actually like when just two days ago Adrian had released a seizure of assets when banking had defaulted on loans for some of the foreign branch, and as a result the security requirements had been heightened for all of the Winters family members and their extended members of interest.

The penthouse had been turned into a near fortress, and sooner then later I was expecting to hear that we'd all end up going into protective custody. Nathan's security was on six person shift two in the garage, and four in the surrounding area with an immediate lockdown contingency if anything is missed for even a since check.

Aside from that Nathan has managed to get himself in a schedule where he does his work at school and will listen to the lecture since our teacher does live recordings, which helped him multitask and accomplish both things so that his away from home life.

I however needed to go to a modelling shoot for Versace so I'd be flying to New York this afternoon and back to Boston directly after.

As I stepped out of the elevator beside Nathan one of the Mercedes that was used to carry the Winters Family around stopped and two PPO's got out.

"I asked them to be your security for the day since of course I can't be there to protect you, stay informed of what is going on please".

"I will, you also be safe please" I say and he nods.

"I have Vesper to make sure I don't do anything stupid" he smirks and I just roll my eyes as he walked to his Aston Martin.

Something had changed with him, there was a change with how the Winters took danger. His sisters never seemed the slightest bit worried every though Nathan had explained that was because they never knew. They had always been kept out of the things that went wrong to protect them from it all. The whole family was traditional in the sense that the men were willing to fight for those they cared about and it partially scared me, mostly it made me worried for Nathan. In the time after my birthday I'd met with the girls and they were open about how Nathan would get in trouble for fights that would sometimes get bloody, all in the name of defending either himself, but mostly others.

That was just who he was, and I knew I'd accepted that from him, along with the few words that Scarlett had said to me when we got the chance to talk to one another.

His demons will come up though, the inadequacy, and the pressure he will put on himself.

The last piece I think is true, along with the piece that she'd also told me about how Nathan has his dad for a role model, the one person who no one on earth would dare to try and harm if they knew well enough. Nathan was likely giving himself all kinds of pressure and I wondered just how much of the whole situation he blamed on himself.

"Nathan" I call out and he stops with his hand on the handle of his car, before looking at me with his eyebrows raised.

"Arilynn" he reciprocated as I move across the floor to him and wrap my arms around him.

"I'm going to miss you, don't worry too much while I'm gone" I say squeezing him as hard as I could and I could hear him exhale in humour before wrapping me in his arms. The smell of woody notes and bergamot filling my nose.

"I'm going to worry regardless, it's you after all, you can't be replaced" he says looking deep into my eyes and I swore I was going to turn into a puddle from the look he was giving me.