Chapter Fifty

Driving along the highway was different now I was going back to New Haven to talk with Derek. Nathan on the other hand, had already returned to Harvard with his girlfriend and had told me he was on his way with the boys to have my back when something could go wrong.

That was something I couldn't have back they were like brothers all of them, they all held each other in high regards even if all of them had flaws even the ones that seemed like they couldn't Nathan would know what they were though, and as anyone who had ever seen them all together would expect he would never spill those secrets.

Things were going to get better that was all I hoped for was that things got better, that one by one all the issues would be resolved, figured out, or simply laid to rest after being decided not important.

My thoughts continued to rage ignoring of course that I was driving and merely focusing on the road in front of me while it passed through every conceivable image.

What would happen if this went badly, more so what would happen if I lose another person I care about. That seemed to happen a lot and I don't want it starting to become a common thing losing those that I care about and who care about me.

Eventually I got to New Haven, and the quaint town reminded me that here I was in the presence of various other people like me just not all of them liked me.

That's also because you have a family surrounded by rumours.

I had asked Derek to meet me at a park closer to city center, Nathan had recommended West River Memorial Park where supposedly he could get all of them in a more public area if it came down to it.

The other problem was it was dark out and no one would be able to see anything. The bonus was that the city lights made everything pretty and attractive to the eye.

Parking my RS7 I got out of the car and walked out into the field to wait while waiting for Derek's car to make an appearance though I somewhat doubted he'd park in clear view he was very particular about it.

Then I spotted the vehicle pull in and park on the opposite side of the lot before he got out dressed in slightly ripped jeans a brown leather sherpa wool jacket, and a light grey hoodie underneath his tattoos in clear view and his hair messy on top of his head, a light beard that remained stubbled, and uncut over the past month and a half.

"Scarlett you look... wow" he says a smile playing at his lips.

"You look wow too" I say, and he reaches up to hold the side of my face.

"What did you bring me out here for, I thought we'd catch up at my new place I have a rustic house, I've been renting for a few days now" Derek says gesturing towards his car.

"It's not to reconnect, I wanted to ask something".

A cautious look passed over his face but none the less he nodded and removed his hand from my face pushing them into his pockets and looking unsure of what I was about to ask him.

"I want to know why you didn't tell me you were Matheo Tupier, though I will say two years changed things?" I inquire watching his expression shift and his jaw clench.

He then paces past me and turns back around to face me, "I didn't want you to be afraid of me, I didn't want you to think that I was just using you. I messed up back then and I won't deny that. So I'm sorry I didn't tell you".

I then watch him reach up and grip his hair before turning around and that was when I heard the sound of a vehicle on gravel and turned around to see four Mercedes S580's park in a line and the boys get out all of them dressed sharply for this weather, Nathan in the middle in his characteristic all black.