Chapter Seventy Four

Hours past without any sign of the doctors and nurses who flowed in and out of the ER. At some point I started counting specialists, the same one even entered about five times and left just as many.

Eventually Zavier and Theo got up to go renew our stay at the Four Seasons, and Lucian stayed with Arilynn and I.

As the clock struck four PM I heard the door open and a copper haired doctor walked over to us stopping and lifting some of the pieces of paper on his clipboard.

"Are either of you Nathan Winters?" the doctor asks and I raise my hand before Arilynn moves and I stand before the doctor leads me into the glass back rooms of the medical center and stops by the glass recovery room labelled 34H.

Behind the half frosted glass that could be blocked by specially designed metal blinds I saw Scarlett laying with her eyes shut, and all kinds of machines hooked up to her. A vitamin drip, a pace maker, an oxygen tube connected to a valve on the wall. She was paler then usual and her hair had been clipped back. Her makeup was wiped off, and the room smelled sterile.

"She's currently undergoing a medically endured coma, our Radiologist found several impact point of the skull and damaged meneges. Her brain was bruised upon further inspection she'll possibly experience memory loss, and with her history of memory loss as a child this time it could be worse" the doctor says, and I glance down to the name stitched to his coat.

"Dr. Caines, what exactly do you mean by it could be worse?" I ask looking to him.

"Last time it was short term, just a single event, this time it could be months or even years worth of memories that are unclear, foggy, or plain distorted. She may forget the accident which is common, she may forget people, or places, with the scans that we have at current it is likely that these will be things that Miss Scarlett Louviere will never remember. We've also contacted her emergency contact who is Derek Halloway. The reason I'm informing you is because you're the secondary informant and you are here so there really isn't any one else to tell".

"Exactly how long will she be unable to awake?" I ask crossing my arms and glancing at Scarlett once again.

"Three months, we will wake her then, and do an assessment on her health" Dr. Caines says looking over at me.

"And what happens if she succumbs to injuries?" I ask.

"I can assure you that the staff here are very competent and capable of handling any emergency that may come up, Mr. Winters" Dr. Caines says and I nod.

"Perfect, now I need to make a difficult phone call to her boyfriend to hopefully come to fair terms about this whole thing" I say with a sigh.

"We'll take care of her" the doctor says and I nod before walking away back out into the waiting area.

"What did he say?" Lucian asks looking up at me.

"She's in a medically induced coma so that she recovers from her head injury which could mean she forgets moments, events, people, places. Full blown amnesia" I exhale and I see Arilynn stand with her lips pressed together tightly.

"That's not good at all" she says a remorseful look covering her features.

"No it isn't, and now I get to call Derek and tell him that his girlfriend is in a coma, this'll be fun" I mutter before pulling out my phone and walking away down the hallway towards a sitting area near the end.

The phone buzzed a few times until Derek answered sounding uncertain.

"Hello, who is this?" Derek asks while music pounded in the background.

"Derek, it's me Nathan I got back news about Scarlett" I say holding my breath and waiting for Derek to explode but instead I'm met by a solid ten seconds of silence.

"What happened?" he asks extremely calmly to the point that I got slight shivers which didn't happen often.

"She got in a car accident, we're all in Seattle, she came out here to stop her father and in the process of defending one of us she ended up with a concussion that was also a head injury, and is now in a coma at the Julia Marie Medical Center here".

"Fuck, fuck, fuck" he mutters in succession before I hear him begin to softly cry.

"I'll pay for the flight out here. Then we should probably talk about all of this, and you may like it. However now is sad so we'll deal with that later" I say.

"Thanks Nathan" he chokes out.

"No problem, you're her boyfriend, I'd much rather you be here then me or anyone else" I say admittingly.

My statement was true though if they hadn't put Scarlett into a medically induced coma, I'd have rathered Derek be here then anyone else. He was the one that was by her through all of these past months since the start of year. The rest of us despite caring for Scarlett, Derek was the person Scarlett seemed happiest with, and I knew that there was going to be debate with the history between Scarlett and I. I'd picked up on it whenever around Derek he knew we'd dated for nearly nine months. I could understand it, especially since there was never hard or negative feelings towards one another.

"I am to agree with you on that" Derek says and for once I could hear amusement in his voice.

"I'll set you up a nice suite at one of the hotels text you the details, and get you that ticket out here" I say while looking down the hallway then back to the window.

"It's appreciated, just watch over her" he requests and I nod even if he can't see me.

"I will, have been all day" I mutter and he lets out a short lived laugh.

"See you in four hours Nathan" he says before hanging up and I add Derek Halloway to the list of people who would hang up on me rather then the other way around.

Slipping my phone into my pocket I walked back down the hallway with the beeps from within recovery room halls echoing to my ears as I did so, while the cleaning staff came around with the tea tree mist that my dad insisted be used because he hated the smell of the disinfectant in hospitals.

As I got back to the area where all of my friends were I stopped to lean in the doorway.

"Zavier messaged me saying that the rooms are secured, though I take it you'll be going back to the penthouse at Escala, and I'm sure I could get the staff at the house by the Sound to let me in" Lucian says.

"Then I guess the boys are getting to share a room because Derek is coming to Seattle to see his girlfriend. Then we'll probably have a talk about where to go from there because I can promise you that this all will not go that great if it can't be solved" I say crossing my arms and looking towards the hallway where Scarlett was in her coma.

"He's going to want to stay here until she wakes up, just like you would if I was in a coma" Arilynn puts in and I know she's right.

"Then I guess I'm writing a big ass cheque for a place that he can stay in, now we should go home, there isn't anything we can do that's useful here when Derek arrives we'll see if anything changes, but for now the best idea is to get all our schooling online, and be here for when she wakes up. It's the least we can do to be here for when she does" I say looking back at them and both nod in agreement.

We then stand and I head towards the desk to put down my card number so that charges for Scarlett's medical service will be charged directly to me.

After that we all left and looking up once more at the sky rain began to fall over the city as Lucian got into the Range Rover and Arilynn tossed me the keys to the Tesla.

Just because I like going fast, and wanted to be semi normal at the same time.

Starting the batteries, and buckling my seat I waited for Arilynn to be in the vehicle before driving off back towards the penthouse all the while hoping that things went well medically so that my friends didn't have to face another problem this year.

Done the update yay, I think tomorrows will be the one that makes all of this interesting and sets up all of the next book, so here goes I guess. Comment, vote, and share. Anyways

Peace