Welcome Interns

“Are you serious? You are the one, the medical topper, Teju Kapoor?” Riya Jasmin yelled at the top of her lungs.

On the verge of being deaf by the unannounced verbal attack, Adaa covered her ears by the both hands and Teju pressed the brake with full force making the car stopped with a jerk.

“Yes, I am Teju Kapoor, daughter of Rishabh Kapoor and Disha Kapoor. Is there a problem?”

Obviously, neither she nor Adaa got the reason for Jasmin to turn aggressive all of a sudden.

“Yes, I have a big problem with you. If I would have known it’s you, Teju Kapoor and its car I would never accept your help nor sit in your car.” Jasmin again said angrily with a red face.

“Why, what’s wrong? I am confused, how did I offend you?” Teju asked in astonishment.

“You...... You, don’t you have a bit of shame? You are the reason behind the level of discomfort every medical student feels when they get back to their homes. I mean who scores such top record in academics, 98.5%. Omg, such a high percentage in medical exams, miss topper? Same, even in pre-medical exams. Miss Teju Kapoor, are you a crack nut? And by the way, why did you leave out this whole so called 1.5%? Charity for other students? Hmmm, say something, damn it.”

Teju and Adaa looked at each other’s face in amusement whereas Jasmin kept on blabbering absurdly like a lunatic.

“What should I say? I don’t even know what your problem is?” Teju said in baritone.

She did not get what wrong she had done to Jasmin, that made her burst like an active volcano, but somehow Adaa got the inner frustration of her.

“Hmm, what will you say? People like you should be in the museum, you don’t belong to the society, you are a curse for the youth of the entire country, an antique piece, and, and.......” Jasmin was fuming so much in anger that she could not get the right words to carry on venting her frustration on Teju.

“Hold on, Jasmin, why are you bursting out your anger bubble on Teju? What is her fault if your parents or guardians used to compare her academic result by yours? She can’t be responsible for your parents’ doings, who humiliate their own child and praised another brilliant student just because your result is no better than the toppers?”

Adaa chimed in and tried to ease the fire.

Jasmin bit her tongue and realized her mistake. She was really behaving cranky sometimes before.

“Omg, I literally got cracked up as soon as I heard your name. I am sorry Teju, please forgive my behavior.” Jasmin apologized.

“It’s alright.....” Teju said and started the car once again while shaking her head in disbelief.

Jasmin was still embarrassed for her behavior and looked at Adaa with a sheepish smile.

“By the way, Adaa, how did you get my exact problem with Teju's academic results?” Jasmin asked to dissolve the awkwardness she had built sometime before.

Adaa thinks for a while and said with a sad pouted face, “It’s a story of every average student. I am facing the same problem for many years, and I used to get an extra dose of lectures because unfortunately she is my best friend.”

Teju and Jasmin laughed out loud and Adaa continued, “What’s more, being the best friend of this record holder, not only my family but her elder brother always vents his anger on me, lectures me to be like her in studies, seems like he is fulfilling his wish to scold a little sister by scolding, poor me.”

Teju hit Adaa on her shoulder and scolded her, “Shut the hell up AK, I will tell this thought of yours to VB.”

Teju knew Adaa was just exaggerating everything because Varun Kapoor and Adaa Khan didn’t like each other much.

“Now, who the hell is VB?” Jasmin asked.

Since these two girls were talking in initials, she did not get anything.

“It's Varun Kapoor, her elder brother, she is used to calling him VB, Varun bhai.” Adaa answered.

Jasmin released a sigh of relief. “Oh yah, you are the sister of Mr. Varun Kapoor, the very famous builder.”

“Yes.....” Adaa said.

Jasmin and Adaa started discussing a few things about the Kapoor family they know because they all belong to the same elite circle.

Teju was listening to their conversation since long. It’s true that she is proud of her family, but she doesn’t like to get only recognize as a sister of a famous builder or daughter of a famous social worker.

“Jasmin, how do you know so much about me?” Teju asked casually while looking forward through the windscreen.

“Because of my family who talks about you, especially my father and my elder brother always used to praise you and asks me to be like you in the future.” Jasmin said in a heavy voice.

There was an unknown sadness in her tone, which was sensed by Teju, but she chose to be silent. She can’t help her in her personal matters.

Teju stopped the car in the parking area of Prakash hospital, trio get down and moved quickly towards the hall for the first year interns, because their time has already been wasted before by one or the other incident and they could be late at the first day itself.

Trio released a sigh of relief at being on time in the classroom, but the frown lines appeared on Jasmin's forehead, seeing some familiar faces. She saw her ex-college mate in irritation and cursed her fate. Whereas the same faces whom Jasmin disliked looked at Jasmin and smirked. They mumbled something and gave a hi-fi to each other.

Teju and Adaa were smart enough to observe the change on Jasmin's face and the smirk look on some of the interns’ face by looking at Jasmin

Teju was about to ask Jasmin about it, but right at the moment a panel of doctors entered in the hall and Teju had to purse her lips.

Few senior doctors and matrons were walking behind Dr. Karan Kundrra and Dr. Prince Malhotra and Yuvika Malhotra.

“Good morning doctors and welcome to the Prakash medical college and hospital.” Dr Karan Kundrra addressed the meeting and welcomed the interns.

“I am Dr. Karan Kundrra the chairman of the Prakash hospital, these are the great doctors of Prakash hospital and chief of different departments.” Karan said proudly while pointing towards the team of doctors behind him.

Addressing and welcoming to the new interns every year is the part of Dr. Karan's job and after that Dr. Prince Malhotra used to take care of their classes and duties, but today something was different with Dr. Karan.

When he was welcoming the interns, his gaze fell on an intern at the center of the second row, and that was Dr. Teju Kapoor. A kind of bitterness spread inside him as soon as he had an eye contact with her.

Once again, the entire incident of the day before revolved around in his mind. The way she pranked on him, and still got enrolled in his hospital and at last their challenge to each other.

The way he behaved yesterday was just not him, this triggered his anger more that he behaved not as a usual self of him just because of this prankster girl.

Today, after welcoming the interns, he didn’t give the mic to Dr. Prince and carried on with his speech.

“For the next one year you all will practice to be perfect in your profession, but one thing you all need to learn now is to be disciplined, focused and extremely serious in your work. In a doctor’s profession there is no room for mistake, so be very sincere, responsible and emphasis on the duties appointed to you. Last and most important thing, don’t be careless or overlook your responsibilities, jokes, fun, prank and especially flippant attitude will not be tolerated in this hospital. You make one mistake and you will be thrown out of here. Do you all get me?”

Karan said with utmost presumptuousness and in an overbearing tone, while looking into Teju's eyes.

Teju got that he is trying to impose his words on her, but she was least bothered, and turned her gaze away from him which only lead him to be more antagonized.