6. Sister Superior for Sale

'It's only been half a year since my mother died, and already they tried to marry my father off and replace me as heir. I know those men and how they plot in their secret councils when I've been sent away.' Rhaenyra muttered.

"You cannot worry at the matters of lords and kings, Rhaenyra." Alicent reminded her, hesitantly she kept going. "What if your father were to remarry?" Rhaenyra stared at her disgusted by the thought. 'Your father loves you. He chose you for his heir."

"He didn't choose me. He spurns Daemon." Rhaenyra corrected.

"Kneel with me. I find this is a way to be with my mother. Here in the quiet of the Sept... I feel close to her. I know it sounds foolish." Alicent remarked softly.

"I don't think it's foolish." Rhaenyra told her and Alicent looked at her in disbelief. "I don't." she confirmed.

"Good... because I thought you might try. I... If not for me, then, perhaps for them." and Rhaenyra let out a long sigh.

"What do I say?" Rhaenyra pondered in exasperation.

"Whatever you wish. It's only for you and the gods to know." Alicent reminded her.

"I want him to see me as more than his little girl." Rhaenyra admitted.

"My own father does not know the language of girls either." Alicent informed her making Rhaenyra chuckle. "Aislynn is fluent in girl talk and smack talk as my brothers deem it." Alicent added.

'When I wish to talk with him... I know that I must make the effort." Rhaenyra rasped when they heard footsteps. Alicent turned around.

"My prayers came true." Alicent declared jumping up.

"Hey sweetie." Aislynn said hugging Alicent to her. "Oh, I'm so sorry I was gone, we had a union to kill back home." Aislynn remarked.

"I don't think I want to know." Alicent countered.

"Probably smart." Aislynn agreed still hugging her as Rhaenyra got up. "Plausible deniability and all that."

"Can you be my sister too?" Rhaenyra questioned hugging her.

"Sure, why not. Aislynn sister superior for sale, starting at the low cost of carrot cakes and peanut butter cookies." Aislynn agreed.

+

'I held an audience earlier today with Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys.' Viserys remarked hesitantly.

"That was most charitable of you, Your Grace. I'm sure Lord Corlys appreciated the spirit of it." Mellos told him.

"He proposed a marriage." Viserys disclosed.

"To whom, Your Grace?" Mellos pondered.

"The Lady Laena." Viserys told him and Mellos stopped examining his hand. Viserys nodded, he had the same reaction. "To combine the strength of our houses, and demonstrate my reign's strongest days are ahead, not behind." He repeated.

"Lord Corlys has overreached, Your Grace." Otto assured him 'Such matters must be discussed with the Small Council." Otto reminded him biting back the edge to his voice. This wasn't good, he needed more time, Alicent needed more time. With Aislynn gone and her union being set Otto thought that Alicent was back on track with Viserys but if Corlys was making demands of the king in private that just wouldnt do.

"That is what I'm doing, presently. So... what is your advice, dear Otto." Viserys told him.

"The Lady Laena... is young, Your Grace." Otto told him trying to think of a reason to void this immediately without giving away his motives.

"Indeed, but the wounds made by the Great Council still linger, my King. A match with their daughter would go a long way towards sealing the breach and uniting the two great Valyrian houses would certainly signal unity throughout the realm and beyond." Mellos reminded Otto.

"The Grand Maester's reasoning is sound." Otto agreed stiffly.

"I do fear what Rhaenyra might think." Viserys added softly.

"What does it matter, Your Grace? Her mother has passed. Her father must propagate the royal line." Mellos reminded him.

"I, uh, dearly loved my own lady wife. The pain of her passing still haunts me. And to be compelled to... replace her for duty's sake." Otto said offering his own wisdom to the situation. "You are the King. But I do not envy you."

+

"Aislynn, what are you doing back?"

"Hello wonderful and perfect daughter, I have missed you." Aislynn corrected for him.

"I have missed you." Otto agreed kissing her forehead.

"Sure do try and sound more convincing." Aislynn countered with an innocent smile. "It's fine I'm not here for you I'm here for Ali and oh... excuse me I see a guard that needs my body to protect." Aislynn declared running off.

"Aislynn!" Otto called after her. "Aislynn!" Otto hissed. "Damns girl." Otto huffed out a breath, he couldn't worry about Aislynn he had to focus on Alicent.