61. Shimmer

"Because why the fuck not?" Aislynn offered.

"Why the fuck not." Arthur agreed.

"To celebrate Clayton." Tommy remarked. "He wont remember it but we will."

"Unless we start drinking now and smoking my latest concoction!" John declared.

"Yes please." Larys agreed.

"Thats a good lad!" Arthur declared. Finn leaned back into Aislynn.

"A ball? A feast? A gala?" Alicent pondered. "Its been a while since we did anything fun like that."

"I agree and I need my favorite guard off duty so he can have a bit of fun too," aislynn added.

"Harwin?" Finn teased.

"Hardy har har." Aislynn corrected her gaze shifting to Criston. "Off duty." She pointed a finger at criston. "Fun. All the fun," criston nodded in agreement.

"Put Harold to work." Arthur agreed slapping his hands together.

"Give me a reason to wear normal people clothes- no." Aislynn corrected as she ran a hand through Finns hair. "I want to walk into the room and make the whole place shimmer."

Aislynn was getting ready for the ball when there was a knock on her door. She saw criston pulled him inside and shut the door. She had to get the words out she couldnt hide it. She had to. So she did.

"Clayton is yours." Aislynn blurted out. Criston stared back at her before looking at the box in his hands.

"Well my present seems shitty compared to a son." Criston teased.

"Say something serious." Aislynn whispered.

"I hoped he was." Criston agreed. "I wanted him to be mine... are you sure?"

"Yes." Aislynn agreed. "I'm sure."  Criston opened his mouth to say he was sorry and they shouldnt have and he felt bad for putting her in this position but she kissed him. Clearly seeing his worry. "Im glad hes yours." Aislynn assured. "Im so happy clayton is yours." Aislynn whispered kissing him again.

"Open your present." Criston whispered and Aislynn smiled peeling open the top.

"Oh Criston-" she gasped pulling the dress free. "This is beautiful!"

"I cant wait to see you shimmer."

+

Aislynn was fashionably late. And damn if she didnt shimmer. A smile covered her face as she strut forward and all eyes turned to her.

Criston had gotten aislynn a dress with pockets. Dress. Pockets. Seven hells what could be better?

 Seven hells what could be better?

"Targaryen red." Harwin mused when he saw Aislynn's new sparkly red dress.

"Its just a red dress. It doesn't have to mean anything." Aislynn corrected. "Come on, best get there before Aegon drinks all the wine and Daeron touches all the food."

Red. It could have meant nothing just a pretty color but Criston Cole gave it to her and his house colors just so happen to be red.

Criston wanted to be the first one to say she looked gorgeous but of course Harwin was at her side like a doting husband should be. Better be since all eyes were on his gorgeous wife. Which only further irritated Rhaenyra that she was second best possibly not even second best to anyone in this room. No one looked twice at her and she was the damn princess. The heir. She would be queen!

Yet it was Aislynn Hightower that was flocked as though she was royalty.

"Aislynn you look absolutely enchanting." Criston remarked coming up to her.

"Thank you." Aislynn coed kissing his cheek. "Im hoping the man that gave me this dress will help me take it off tonight," she whispered and Cristons face flushed.

"Wife." Harwin said through gritted teeth.

"Harwin." Aislynn countered taking a step away from criston as Daeron came running up. "Cutie pie!" Aislynn coed pressing a kiss to Daerons head.

"Drink?" Harwin questioned.

"Functioning in short sentences today I see." Aislynn remarked calmly.

"Thank you"

"Thank you". Aislynn added forcing a smile as she took the drink from harwin before quickly making haste.

"Aislynn." Harwin reached out a hand "dance with me." Aislynn drank down her drink and handed it back to him.

"I would rather dance with my favorite boys!" Aislynn corrected reaching for Daerons hand.

"Come on Aislynn just a dance. You look too good not to." Harwin remarked.

"I do." She agreed. "Which is why Daeron is going to dance with me right honey?"

"Yep!" Daeron agreed running out to the middle of the floor.

"Aislynn." Harwin grumbled.

"I dont want to dance with you." Aislynn remarked as Finn came up.

"You alright mum?" Finn questioned.

"Perfect. You want to dance with me my sweet boy?" Aislynn pondered. "Spin me round and treat me right?"

"Always." Finn agreed leaning into her.

"Lets go then it reeks of bear over here." Aislynn decided and Harwin had enough.

"Stop being such a bitch." Harwin sneered and Aislynn gaped back at him.

"Don't," Aislynn snapped. She jerked like his sharp tone had struck her.

"Don't what?" Harwin whispered. He had been trying and now she had given up on him completely was that it?

Don't make me face the fact that you broke your promise. Don't make me face that you lied. Aislynn thought bitterly. Don't make me admit how scared I am that you don't want me anymore that you never did. Don't make me ask you why you're not happy. Why Im not enough. Why i was never enough for you when I would have loved you til the end if you only treated me right. Aislynn pursed her lips. Words she would never say aloud.

"Just...don't." Aislynn whispered.

"Way to ruin a good night." Aegon remarked turning his nose up at Harwin as he passed.